• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this kind of rock suitable?

Piece-of-fish

Hi, brought quite a few rocks of this type from cornwall in summer, unfortunately they have metalic veins in them so i am guessing that they are not good to put in the tank.
Would be greatful for an advice on this one. Are they good or not and why if not.
Regards.
stones.jpg

Piece-of-fish said:
Hi, brought quite a few rocks of this type from cornwall in summer, unfortunately they have metalic veins in them so i am guessing that they are not good to put in the tank.
Would be greatful for an advice on this one. Are they good or not and why if not.
Regards.
stones.jpg

Personnally I would say no - I am no metallurgist but I sure the metalic veins are TIN as Cornwall was famous for its tin mines. I would imagine that "Tin" may / would affect your water parameters.

Get in touch with Darrel (DW1305) as he may be able to shed more light on the affects this stone would have on water parameters.

Regards
paul

If anyone is interested, this is a detailed reply from Darrel :wave:
dw1305 said:
Hi Edward,
The shiny look, coupled with the flat bedding plains suggests mica, the red colour is iron (Fe), and it looks like iron has been re-deposited in the diagonal vein (possibly as iron pyrites). The re-deposition of minerals makes it quite likely that your rock might contain copper (Cu), Tin (Sn) or Arsenic (As) and is probably unsuitable for the aquarium.

Have a look here:
http://www.es.ucl.ac.uk/undergrad/fieldwork/image/fieldtrips/SWEngland/geo2.htm

If you go back any granite pebbles are totally inert and suitable, but I'd keep away from anything too shiny or with obvious veins in it.

cheers Darrel

interesting, shame copper and I guess arsenic are highly toxic to most inverts.

Back