• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

how to find "dead spot" in my tank?

jarthel

Are there methods I can use to check for dead spots in the water circulation? thank you

Hi jarthel

Just move your drop checker around the place and leave it in each position for a few hours. If it starts changing colour (going blue or dark green) then that will indicate that your CO2 is not circulating to that point.
I used to leave mine in each position for 24 hours to see if there where any fluctuations.
Took me weeks to do the whole tank :lol:

CeeJay said:
Hi jarthel

Just move your drop checker around the place and leave it in each position for a few hours. If it starts changing colour (going blue or dark green) then that will indicate that your CO2 is not circulating to that point.
I used to leave mine in each position for 24 hours to see if there where any fluctuations.
Took me weeks to do the whole tank :lol:

great tip! thank you :)

To get a quick idea of the flow you can also crush a bit of flake food and dump it in while the filters are running. It will quickly give you an idea of troublespots, then move your drop checker there.

Another option is to drop in some coloured liquid into the tank. I think one of the coloured meds (methyl blue etc) would show dispersion rates quite well. Dead spots would change colour slowly. If you drop over your CO2 injection site you can see CO2 or if you drop over the filter inlet you will see water circulation. i would use something like pipette and squeeze gently.

Rob

Back