• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Garden moss.

I've read ppl asking about garden moss and ppl don't seem to think that they are aquatic but I would be interested to hear what happens if someone actually gives it a go!

Most of the aquatic place I see seem to have emersed growth so it would be interesting to find out if our native moss survives immersed. Tho I have a feeling things like temperature may cause them problems.

Try to take a pic of the moss you have or describe it, and maybe someone might be able to give a close ID.

I've tried stringy moss as well as a few unIDed mosses. The stringy moss did well, and the others did develop new growth underwater but did not last for more than a few months.

I'm toying with the idea of getting two identical (squared) glass bowls and gathering some moss of some of the trees/wet ground around site (work) and put one to grow emersed and the other immersed and see how they do.

I'd place them on a window ledge for light and add/exchange water when required.

I was jsut looking at a patch of moss on one of the trees on site (as I moved from building to building... god i'm turning into a plant geek too!!!) and saw one what looked like the emersed growth on andyh's "Deep Root" tank, so I wonder if there is a local variant of xmas moss...???

It's entirely possible that it's the same specie but not the same plant. I'd be very interested to see if you can grow it submerged.

Back