• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help! What is this?

Tomo

Hello,

I've recently noticed quite a few of these small white-ish 1mm to 2 mm sized spots in my tank. They're on my plants, the rocks, the filter and the artifical log ornament.

I don't know where they've come from or what they are. I don't think they're algae as I had to research an algae problem a few months ago and never saw anything like this.

Does anyone know what these are, and how to remove them from my tank?

Thanks,

Tomo

dsci0833.jpg

dsci0835.jpg

dsci0831.jpg

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your quick replies.Yes i have 2 snails in my tank they are dark brown with stripes hope you can see them from the picture.I dont know what snails they are but i've had them about 3 months now they are good at cleaning some of the algea i get, i want to keep them but don't suddenly wont a load of snails. How do i get rid of them? they seem to be stuck on like glue i've tried to remove one and how long before they hatch?

Thanks. Tomo.

dsci0837.jpg

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all your help and advice. I'm glad the eggs won't hatch! Any ideas on how to get rid of them though? I don't like the way they look in my tank, and if the snails start laying more it'll just get worse.

Also, do you know why the snails have suddenly started laying eggs? They've never done it before. Is it something they do all the time or just now and again?

Thanks!

Tomo

One of the sponges with a scouring pad on it should do the trick. They should come of the leaves a bit easier than the rocks.
They will be laying eggs because they are nice and healthy. Thats all most tank inhabitants need to reproduce.
rob

Thanks everone for your advice .I'll use the pad to get them off.

Tomo. :thumbup:

Hi all,
They are Nerite eggs and actually they will hatch, it's just the veliger larval stage won't develop in freshwater (there like Amano shrimps, the water needs to be brackish). The veligers are phototropic and planktonic and will swim to a light source, where they can be pipetted/netted out and fed to Pipefish, Bumblebbe Gobies etc. (details from Hellweg "Culturing Live Food", well worth buying).
cheers Darrel

Back