• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

crypt roots growing upwards???

AndyOx

Really wasn't sure which section to put this under but figured it was best here! First things first, the tank specs
180L Trigon 180 aquarium
lighting 2x28w T5 + 1x24 T5 Photoperiod 9 hours
CO2 injected (drop checker lime green)
JBL aquabasis substrate capped with silver quartz gravel.
Temp 27 - 28 degrees
Ferts as per EI
The tank has been running for 18 months and I've noticed my crypts (wendtii & cordata) have thin white roots growing upwards out of the substrate. The plants are growing fine but the roots are meant to grow down no? lol
I'm not overly concerned just wondered what peoples thoughts are on why this happens. I always used to get this happening with balansae too when it got going. Haven't noticed it with any amazon sword species. Any ideas? :?

Hi Steve, I meant to put that in there currently about 3" or so. I've had it happen with the balansae in deeper still. Do you think they need more? :)

I have had long established Balansae with roots about a foot long :wideyed: Only found out quite how large they were when I did a substrate replacement - as they did not grow up but sideways once they hit the bottom of the tank. Although when a plantlet pops up 8" away from the mother plant you get a clue :lol:

No idea how much benefit you would get from deeper substrate, but I can only imagine it would be of some benefit.

(The Cordata you sent me have established, and are growing very slowly as they are in a virtually unlit corner of the tank, but are very healthy. The waxy look to the leaves is gorgeous :thumbup: :thumbup: I am still keeping an eye out for more Usteriana)

Ah that's ok then I'll just carry on doing what I'm doing now then! I am planning to maybe strip it down later this year. Thing is I have so many layout ideas in my head, choosing which one to go for takes time!!

Thanks all :D

Hi Andy, I have had C.Affinis for many years and have had them in all sorts of conditions from low light/low nutrient to high light and high nutrients and, although I dont profess to be an expert, I believe that I see upgrowing roots in tanks where i ahve been dosing the water column rather than relying on substrate feeding. There are always roots which run sideways and build up into a mat but the verical growing would seem to be the plant realising its easier to get nutrients from the water column if you are being good and feeding it :D
There may be other explanations but its just my observation over 30 years with the same plant.( well raather the offspring of the same plant :D )

cheers

John

Back