• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Crypt melt??

tko187

Hi would an increase in nitrates cause crypts to melt, if so will it adapt to the new level as i am double dosing EI? Thanks.

tko187 said:
Hi would an increase in nitrates cause crypts to melt, if so will it adapt to the new level as i am double dosing EI? Thanks.

Personnel view - NO. I have found that if a crypt leaf become damaged then melting occurs. Some time ago I was suffering from my crypts melting and wondered "WHY" the melt occured a couple of days after a water change - in other words it was plonk the hosepipe into the tank and switch the tap on, so the following week I watch how I refilled my tank directly under the flow of in coming water were my crypts which were getting a battering from the incoming water, so I have altered the why I refill the tank which has dramatically reduced the melting. I still get the odd leaf that melts of which I think that this may be down to me when I am tidying up perhaps my nails or jewellery damage the surface of the leaf as I would not call them a hardy plant, not like an Amazon Sword now that hardy I class crypts as delicate.

Regards
paul.

Thanks, yes it does seem very delicate, mine melted straight after a water change also, or then maybe its because i have more flow where the crypts are, before the change it was a dead flow spot in the tank, will these adapt to the situation?

Thanks.

A sudden change in hardness usaly causes melt. It could be the water you are adding in is softer and this is causing the melt.
Rob

Back