• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

can i have some shrimp in my community tank?

Ben M

hi, i have a 4ft community tank, it measures 120cm x 40cm x 45cm, and holds 216l. i am currently heavily planting it with Taiwan moss, crypts etc. and i would like to keep/breed some red cherry shrimp in it. the temp is 24c, and i am increasing the flow in the tank with a koralia in the near future. the current fish in the tank are: 20 Trigonostigma hengeli, 5 SAE'S, 3 otocinclus, 5 normal harlequins, 4 serpae tetras, 8 cherry barbs, 5 cardinal tetras, 4 rummy nose tetras and 4 kribs. however, i am selling the kribs, as they are getting too aggressive, and i will be adding a shoal of corydoras trilineatus soon. could i possibly keep/breed some shrimp? if so, which species would be best?

cheers :D

Cherry Shrimp should be fine in that setup once the Kribs are gone as they would probably eat the shrimp. I would advise getting fairly large once, since Serpae Tetras will nip them and possible eat them if they were small enough to fit in their mouths. You only need a few to start off-they breed like rabbits!

shrimps are scavenger, they will eat algae if you did not feed them. normally I feed mine twice a week.

As long as there are places for the cherrys to hide in should be fine.
Plenty of moss is always good, but if the cherrys have babies you might be faced with a struggle in keeping them alive as they are so small other fish might see it as food :(

Why not add some Amanos?

hi, i have looked at the amano shrimp, and i like them, but could i keep them with cherry shrimp, or would they interbreed?

hi, well i've changed my stocking a little bit. i haven't managed to get rid of the kribs yet, but i hope to soon. i'll need to get some more plants though, as the SAEs have eaten nearly all of the moss. my stocking when i add the shrimp will be: 20 copper harlequins, 5 harlequins, 3 cardinal tetras, 3 serpae tetras, 5 SAEs, 4 rummynose tetras, 13ottos and 10 Corydoras trilineatus or aeneus. i think i'll get some cherry shrimp to start off with, and see how it goes.

Back