• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HC carpeting....not

tko187

I have tried everything, upped flow , increased co2, double dosing EI, but still no joy, why wont it carpet, it gets bushier and maybe little taller, looks very fail and not rooted. Any help before i decide to rip it all out and plant glosso?? I have also learned that even though the corys are CUC (clean up crew) they uproot and digg around like crazy not really giving the hc a chance, then they also dig around in the sand causing sand to fly around the tank. Anybody want two corys...lol???

tko187 said:
I have tried everything, upped flow , increased co2, double dosing EI, but still no joy, why wont it carpet, it gets bushier and maybe little taller, looks very fail and not rooted. Any help before i decide to rip it all out and plant glosso?? I have also learned that even though the corys are CUC (clean up crew) they uproot and digg around like crazy not really giving the hc a chance, then they also dig around in the sand causing sand to fly around the tank. Anybody want two corys...lol???

I planted some HC about two / 3 months ago and it just started to grow side shoots and spread, mine is quite bushy and I am undecided whether to give it a mowing to see whether it will grow outwards rather than becoming more bushy, there are some darker areas within the bush and its approx. 1/2" tall, perhaps a HC expert can advise more.

DSCN3749.jpg

DSCN3747.jpg

Regards
Paul.

So did you make any changes to flow to see this change from growing bushier to see it spreading along the substrate? I have recently noticed that some have started to spread, maybe just need to give it a little longer.

Got to say this is what mines also looks like, spread spread!!!

Thanks for your reply.

tko187 said:
So did you make any changes to flow to see this change from growing bushier to see it spreading along the substrate? I have recently noticed that some have started to spread, maybe just need to give it a little longer.

Got to say this is what mines also looks like, spread spread!!!

Thanks for your reply.

Done nothing with the flow - left it to is own devises - i think its needs a trim that why I stated we need an HC expert to advise us. Come on HC experts

Regards
Paul.

I aint professing to be a HC guru!

But with my experience you need to give it some time then once its started growing give it a good prune flat.
This then encourages new growth and after a few week prune again and it should start carpeting.

This has worked for me. (plus good light and CO2)

Andy

andyh said:
I aint professing to be a HC guru!

But with my experience you need to give it some time then once its started growing give it a good prune flat.
This then encourages new growth and after a few week prune again and it should start carpeting.

This has worked for me. (plus good light and CO2)

Andy

Thx andy

I think what I will do is half its height and see what happens.
Regards
paul.

Ok thanks i will also do the same, now with regards to trimming how harsh should i be, hack it right back or just half the height??

Blimey! I'd be well chuffed with HC growth like that! Mine's been in for eight weeks now, and it's barely surviving. I've chucked over half of it (perhaps prematurely), I've got good flow, high Co2, full EI and I've upped the lighting. Some of the remaining clumps have only just now started to put out one or two horizontal growths, the remainder is barely hanging on.

My approach now is - if it ain't stone dead, just be patient. With trimming, I've experimented with reducing the height to see what happens, but only doing that with one section, not the whole lot, so I can compare. I left a few healthy leaves on each clump, reckoning that taking it right down to the substrate would require it to have a very healthy root system to regenerate. I'd suggest you try something similar - experiment, but don't put all your eggs in one basket!

I am going to half its height - dont forget to turn off the filter unit off or what you cut off will go everywhere within the tank due to the flow.

Paulo's (london Dragons) on line - what do you think Paulo?

Regards
paul.

Shadow said:
I suggest to remove your Cory, what kind of substrate are you using?

I have ada aquasoil amazonia. I am trying to rehome them, big mistake putting them in.

HC and Glosso require a lot of attention, although HC grows a lot slower in my experience. If you want to keep in the tank long term you will need to trim is low, if it gets too thick then near the substrate due to lack of light it will start melting, when it starts doing that then you will have to uproot it all and replant.

Back