• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tiger Lotus Nymphaea Lotus

Barry Wang

Seedling
Hi All
I bought some plants on ebay this one is supposed to be a Tiger Lotus bulb, i have never had this plant before and I wasn't expecting it to look like this, is this normal?
it looks like a cut off from a large root

2.jpg

1.jpg

Thanks

Hi Barry,i must say mate i think you may have been short changed,i have had the same plant and the bulb didnt look nothing like that,it was brown and not unlike a soft conker but darker,but having said all that i have read that the tubers can vary a lot,
regards john.

i have never seen this kind of lotus :? i don't think this is an lotus

i only know the lotus is having a bulb like these:

3_Nymphaea%20zenkeri%20%28red%29.jpg

aquariu-n.jpg

Cheers guys
john starkey said:
Hi Barry,i must say mate i think you may have been short changed,i have had the same plant and the bulb didnt look nothing like that,it was brown and not unlike a soft conker but darker,but having said all that i have read that the tubers can vary a lot,
regards john.
I was expecting the conker type bulb, i have know idea what this thing is.

Hi all,
I think it is a Nymphaea or Nuphar rhizome, you can see the spiral arrangement of the leaf scars. Looks like a cutting from a pond one, so I'd expect it would grow quite big. You need to carefully cut back any rotten bits to a clean surface, and take the cut leaf bases off. I'd leave the rhizome on the substrate surface, particularly until the cut surfaces have callused.
image8852.jpg

cheers Darrel

I would agree that it looks more like a nuphar or spatterdock rhizome to me. tiger lotus produces bulbs about the size of a 10 p piece roughly with one or more shoots growing out of it. The spatterdock will grow very large though so you would need care in where to locate it. Legally I'm not sure where you stand in terms of trades descriptions on this though.

Cheers

Andy

Back