• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

flow in a 60l tank

Jon1706

Hi everyone I've been reading a lot about flow And its got me running a round chasing my tail lol :crazy: I got the bit about 10x filtration but that you lose some flow from your filter. I have Tetratec Ex600 so in a nice world this would give me 10x turn over. but from what i've read, my flow will be around 7x or 8x turn over?. I know I will need something to give me more flow (been looking at the Ehiem power heads) with one off these I will get 10x over just with power head. The two thing I can't work out are:
Is 17x or 18x to much in a 60l?
Where to place the powerhead.
I will be using my spraybar with my filter and this will run over the back off the tank. So the flow will go to the front to back right?, With the powerhead say going on the left hand side off the tank this will send the flow right to left? is this bad or good? having two different flows crossing each other. The C02 will come from water changes and easycarbo (2ml a day), I'm hoping the extra flow will spread it better? or will I have to upp the levels due to the flow? And the smae for my fert that is 1ml a day will I need upto up that as well?
Ok if this didn't make any senes I'm sorry just getting myself lost again lol :wideyed: :? :crazy:

Jon

In my 6ol i have a eheim doing 750l p/h and a Hydor Koralia Nano doing 900lph.

This works perfectly for me, once my plants get over grown, the flow reduces dramatically and i start seeing dead spots even with all this flow. Every tank is different, its something you just have to play with and work it out. The spray bar does create good flow along the length of the tank, but its probably worth thinking about adding a powerhead of some description.

good luck

Andy
P.s have you got a reason to think you need it? If you havent start with out it and see how you get on. Powerheads can always be added. o_O

andyh said:
Jon

In my 6ol i have a eheim doing 750l p/h and a Hydor Koralia Nano doing 900lph.

This works perfectly for me, once my plants get over grown, the flow reduces dramatically and i start seeing dead spots even with all this flow. Every tank is different, its something you just have to play with and work it out. The spray bar does create good flow along the length of the tank, but its probably worth thinking about adding a powerhead of some description.

good luck

Andy
P.s have you got a reason to think you need it? If you havent start with out it and see how you get on. Powerheads can always be added. o_O

Thank you andy. I haven't used a power head before but I'm planing a rescape and I think trying to make sure I've got everything right which I know you cant do something always goes wrong lol. I have a feeling I might end up with dead spots around the wood as it is a lot larger then the peace off wood which I have now. Also will have a two different stem plants around it.
this is my planed layout for the new scape.
plantingguidecopy.jpg

So I will give it ago with out the powerhead then if I notice a dead spot I can always add a power head.
Ps
I need to switch the parvula and the tennellus around on the plan :oops:

Back