• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Suitable T5 lighting?

I have a Juwel Rio 125 litre (32 US Gallons) aquarium with a Juwel High Lite unit housing 2 x 28W T5 tubes. One has a Kelvin rating of 9000k and one with 6700k. The tank is 81 cm long, has a depth of 36 cm and a height of 50 cm from the light unit to the gravel.

Taking into account that these are standard T5 bulbs (NOT T5HO), based on my spec above would I have low, medium or high light?

I was hoping to grow dwarf hairgrass and some red plants.

Hi Tommy just to try and help, working on WPG you have 56w of light and 32 gallons of water which gives you 1.75w per gallon which enough to get you stared for sure with a tank depth of 36cm and an overall height for the lamps of 50cm. A lot will depend on dosing and flow as usual with planted tanks but with that amount of light nothing will die and adding more light is easy but everything else has to be adjusted to suit. You could try adding reflectors if you think you are struggling but initially I think you have more than enough to move on. Some of the other guys might suggest more but for now this is my understanding of your position regards Colin.

Hi Tommy yes that is correct therfor it can only be taken as a general guide because it was based on florescent lamps where we now have so many variables in lighting types, metal halide, T5, T8, Led, to name a few. The length in comparison to the tank, the height, with or without reflectors, the position over the tank where do you stop? As I originally suggested give what you have a go and gudge the results in conjunction with your flow, dosing and then adjust as necessary, have fun regards Colin. :D

Ok I have reflectors for both bulbs. So that should help. What I am going to do is just plant all the plants I want and see what grows under the light I have. Im not to bothered about growth but as long as the plants look healthy then Im happy. I take it that the nutrient provided by dosing will make sure the plants are healthy.

Hi tommyleestaples

I have to agree with Colin. Start with what you've got and see what works.
One misconception people bring with them to this planted tank game is that you need high light to grow plants. This is not the case. There are many plants that will grow in 1wpg or less and more light sometimes causes more headaches if something else is wrong eg: ferts, CO2, flow etc.
tommyleestaples said:
I take it that the nutrient provided by dosing will make sure the plants are healthy.
That is correct.
If something is wrong you can certainly rule out ferts as the problem providing you are dosing the correct amounts :D .
Just give it a go and see what works for you.
Good luck and keep us posted :D

Hi tommyleestaples

I haven't tried PPS Pro but do use EI with good results.
I would be inclined to start with EI as it is relatively simple, once you get your head round it. Then after a while adjust your KNO3 downwards when you're comfortable with it.
Just allow at least 3 weeks between adjustments to see if you notice any difference in your plant growth.

Back