• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Strange thing with my FE

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team
I installed a new 2kg FE about 3 weeks ago, last night my cabinet was making a funny noise and I thought it was the filter so left it, today the FE shows empty, and there was a lot of water at the bottom of the FE, I saw no leaks anywhere (filters, CO2 tubbing, etc...) But the FE stills seems pretty heavy for an empty bottle!!!

I just installed a new one and there are no problems, any ideas?? I am going to dump the FE anyway in case its damaged. Just curious.

Water didnt back siphon by any chance through a faulty check valve?? strange one alright, you got a leak somewhere though I would guess.

zig said:
Water didnt back siphon by any chance through a faulty check valve?? strange one alright, you got a leak somewhere though I would guess.

No leaks nothing, installed the new one and its all good, I have two check valves and both tested fine. I have a pump diffuser which places no pressure at all on the tubing, so no chance of ever creating a leak.

LondonDragon said:
zig said:

No leaks nothing, installed the new one and its all good, I have two check valves and both tested fine. I have a pump diffuser which places no pressure at all on the tubing, so no chance of ever creating a leak.

Hmmm mystery deepens, well where did the water come from then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cat dragged it in :lol: :D

zig said:
Hmmm mystery deepens, well where did the water come from then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cat dragged it in :lol: :D
I am thinking something went wrong with the FE and it froze, then the water most likely condensation.

LondonDragon said:
zig said:
I am thinking something went wrong with the FE and it froze, then the water most likely condensation.

Only messing Paulo, so Steve is probably on the right track, best get rid of that FE double quick, good you had a spare one anyway, which reminds me 2 empties here and half way through the only full one in the house so best get some refills in case of emergencies!!!!

zig said:
Only messing Paulo, so Steve is probably on the right track, best get rid of that FE double quick, good you had a spare one anyway, which reminds me 2 empties here and half way through the only full one in the house so best get some refills in case of emergencies!!!!
Yeah took the faulty one the recycling this morning, so good riddance ;) now need to order some more, don't like having no spare FEs!

Hi,
Co2 cylinders frost up at the top when vented. This would require a high rate of flow though, condensation would form if it was leaking substantially but not enough to cause the frosting. As for non return valves, they are mostly rubbish. Ive had two neither of which actually prevented backflow. I now have three non return valves on the system.
I work in the gas industry, and have to say I'm quite shocked at the quality of regulators and equipment being sold to hobbyists, for extortionate prices. In industry the regulation for the use of cylinders and regulators is well established due to the catastrophic result of a failure/misuse.
Hope that didnt sound too preachy!
Good luck with the next fe.

Back