• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Total flow and flow from filtration

willgaze

Seedling
I was just wondering whether you have any advice regarding the pros and cons of filtration turnover vs total flow? I have an eheim 2322 rated at 500l/h plus a korlaia nano rated at 900l/h, however I am still having algae problems in a 100l tank with drop checker lime green/yellow, 36w fpr 8 hours and Tropica plant nutrition. The mosses etc, still seem to get clogged with debris leading to staghorn algae, which also growns on the vals and java fern. Would moving to a 2128 rated at 1050l/h improve matters, it's only twice the flow but rated for aquaria up to 600l. I would like to be able to get rid of the koralia as the vals and C. balensea get caught up in it.
Many thanks,
Will

willgaze said:
I was just wondering whether you have any advice regarding the pros and cons of filtration turnover vs total flow? I have an eheim 2322 rated at 500l/h plus a korlaia nano rated at 900l/h, however I am still having algae problems in a 100l tank with drop checker lime green/yellow, 36w fpr 8 hours and Tropica plant nutrition. The mosses etc, still seem to get clogged with debris leading to staghorn algae, which also growns on the vals and java fern. Would moving to a 2128 rated at 1050l/h improve matters, it's only twice the flow but rated for aquaria up to 600l. I would like to be able to get rid of the koralia as the vals and C. balensea get caught up in it.
Many thanks,
Will

Will

Following the 10x rule on filters for me is a good starting point. I.e 60l tank 600lph filter. Although in my 60l i use a 750lph external and a Koralia nano 900lph. Which does the job.

Moss always gets clogged with debris even with good flow, there are some things that you can do to help with this.
1. Get shrimps as they constantly graze on the debris and disturb the debris into the water flow.
2. When performing tank maintenance gently pat/run fingers through the moss and disturb all the debris and then with your siphon hose suck all the debris out.

I had Staghorn in my kitchen tank setup at the beginning and this was down to poor flow, distribution and the amount of CO2. I spent ages playing with the Koralia and filter return, to ensure that the Co2 was getting round the tank. This then helped with distribution of the nutrients also.

My advice would be cut out all the staghorn infected leaves you can, get your filtration and flow sorted. And start supplementing your CO2 with something like easycarbo every day. This combined with reg water changes should help eliminate the staghorn. Stick with it though its a hard battle! :thumbup:

Hi Andy,
thanks for the advice. I do have shrimps which don't often seem to venture up onto the moss (18 amanos) and I add the recommended dose of easycarbo (frightened to add more in case I kill the shrimps). I cut back what I can but it seems to get worse and worse, the Co2 goes into the Koralia which blows it round the tank quite well. I have reduced lighting to the point that I have 8-10" E. tennelus (awful weed). The only other option was increasing the size of the filter but this is obviously an expensive solution as the eheim 2232 thermo I have wasn't cheap.
Cheers,
Will

Hi,

You could try looking at the problem from a slightly different angle.

Where's the crap thats getting caught in the moss coming from?

Reduce the crap production, reduce the problem......

Regards, Chris.

Back