• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bottom drilled tank, help needed...

Piece-of-fish

Hello. I am planning to do 100G optiwhite in my office and whanted to make it a bottom drilled tank.
I wanted to do something like this:
http://www.aquascapingworld.com/forum/a ... -tank.html
The question is how these inlets are called, (the autlets are called locline as far as i know) and where to get, how to connect and maintain them (clean)
Now i know that Tom does similar systems for his clients and could help with an advice, would be much appreciated.
Has anyone else done something similar?
Regards,
Edward.

TMC do a bulkhead strainer (bottom item):

bulkhead-strainer-l.jpg

The usual way of drilling a tank would be to have a weir and then a sump underneath, but if you are connecting strait to an external filter then the above could work quite well.

Thanks for reply, TMC stands for?
I wander how to clean these inlets and outlets as well.

TMC stand for tropical marine centre they are a large importer of marine products and fish just type tmc in on google. Most marine shops deal with them and would be able to source it for you. On the suction side a simple wipe over would do the job as the filter would collect this and be removed when you clean your filter.

Ok that makes it more clear for me. Thanks a lot.
Would be great to see the actual photos of underneath the cabinet of the similar system if anyone has them, or a link to a guide.

BTW, after having a further read of the threat you posted, this chap is using them in combination with flexible return pipe for a closed loop system minimising pumps in the tank and he has plumbed a compression fitting in there for his co2 diffusion. The principle would still be the same for you though but with a filter in the mix as well. Would be interesting to see this done, as it would be very minimalistic.

ye, thats what i am after, minimalistic look,no equipment at all in the tank. This return pipe is called locline. I have pmd tom, hope to get some advice from him as well.
Anyway the setup probably will start only in may.

I use these on my aquarium:

http://www.coralculture.co.uk/shop/prod ... cts_id=591

VDL fittings are IMO opinion are the best (piping is solvent welded together). Used them on my marine tanks for years. Most reefers do too. Loads of sizes and fittings available. A fitting for every application. Just make sure of the hole sizes when having your holes drilled.

Just another option.

Dave

Back