• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rio Negro biotope

Just read the article in pfk, I have to say, i think its great, something that bit different that you dont tend to see often, I was wondering though, when you perform water changes, I take it you do this with pre-stained water? I was thinking if you poured clear water in, the light will be able to penetrate easier as not having a stain in the water to block it, maybe resulting in algae?

Hi George, great scape!!

Stumbled across it today and what a coincidence to have read the article in PFK only a week ago....

You have inspired a lot of hobbyists in Malta with this scape :)

Michael

Thanks, all!

I've done another two planted biotopes since this, and I think both are better still. I'll post them after they're published in PFK.

AdAndrews said:
Just read the article in pfk, I have to say, i think its great, something that bit different that you dont tend to see often, I was wondering though, when you perform water changes, I take it you do this with pre-stained water? I was thinking if you poured clear water in, the light will be able to penetrate easier as not having a stain in the water to block it, maybe resulting in algae?
Thanks, Adam!

The catappa leaf 'tea-bags' that are in the external filter constantly secrete tannins. So the water changes to temporarily make the water clearer, but it soon gets stained again. Water changes can be minimised in a set up like this, as fish load and lighting is relatively low.

mzm said:
Hi George, great scape!!

Stumbled across it today and what a coincidence to have read the article in PFK only a week ago....

You have inspired a lot of hobbyists in Malta with this scape :)

Michael
Thanks, Michael! That's lovely to hear.

Back