• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

photoperiod query

chilled84

In my tank i have noticed something very odd! It might be normal, But im not sure, Plants open and close i know, But my lights come on at 2 and go off 7 hours laters at 9pm, But...By 7 the plants have closed. I also have noticed that the plants tend to open at about 10 in the morn even when lights are off. Is this when the photoperiod starts and begins?

If so my plants truly o have a routine! And if this is double true would anyone agree with me that introduceing the co2 within the time tht the plants are open is best! Just an idea that came to me thats all, After ll we as humans dont eat when sleeping.

chilled84 said:
In my tank i have noticed something very odd! It might be normal, But im not sure, Plants open and close i know, But my lights come on at 2 and go off 7 hours laters at 9pm, But...By 7 the plants have closed. I also have noticed that the plants tend to open at about 10 in the morn even when lights are off. Is this when the photoperiod starts and begins?

If so my plants truly o have a routine! And if this is double true would anyone agree with me that introduceing the co2 within the time tht the plants are open is best! Just an idea that came to me thats all, After ll we as humans dont eat when sleeping.

You must have your tank situated near to a window and nature light from a window in going onto the tank and the plants are using the natural light - so yes partial photoperiod is starting and some fertz / co2 will be comsumed, people have found that prior to their tank lights coming on the colouration of thier dc has changed slightly than what was observed prior to the lights going off the previous night. If there is a dramatic change in colouration - this could be due to excessive distrubance of the wateer surface which is venting the residual co2 gas from within the water column.

This why we set the co2 to come on 2 hrs prior to the light coming on so there is plenty of Co2 within the column for the plants to consume + replenish what the plants have comsume during natural day light striking the tank.

Regards
Paul.

Had the same issue and I have reduced the photo period and use the full blast only for 2h a day.
L. Aromatica

Back