• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Born Again Skateboarder

JamesC

Hard to believe but I've taken up skateboarding again after a 30 break. My 9 year old son brought a skateboard with his xmas money and so I dug out my old boards from the garage. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed from before so have now treated myself to a new board. Things have come a long way from the 70's as they are now much lighter than what I knew before.

What I didn't realise is how popular skateboarding is becoming again with new skate parks springing up everywhere. I'm not into street skating, just bowls and ramps. There's a fairly decent half pipe just up the road from me and with a little practice I was getting up to vertical again. One thing that I have noticed is that falling off hurts loads more than when I was young.

1978 G&S Stacey Peralta Warptail 2 deck with ACS 580 trucks and OJ wheels
SkateboardGSWarptail2.jpg

1979 Z-Ply deck with Tracker Ex-Tracks and green Kryptonics
SkateboardZ-Ply.jpg

And the new 2010 Rasa Libre Meinholz deck with Independent 149 trucks and Bones Chris Miller SPF wheels
SkateboardRasaLibre.jpg

James

James, Good on you mate. I'm going to be in southern region soon, if you shoot me a pm I'd be extremely happy to come ride bowl with you.

I struggle with 360's! I'm guessing we're talking vert 720's?!

Well I try to stay vert if that's what you mean!

Good man! I can't skatevert, it puts the fear of god into me going fake since I shattered my ankle. I'd love to learn how.

Simon D said:
I know what that cost back then:

http://vintageskateboardmagazines.com/I ... r%202B.JPG

Extortionate! I know.

I worked at this place for a couple of years

You worked at Rolling Thunder in Brentford? Wow that's the skate park I went to when I was young. There's some pictures of it here - http://vintageskateboardmagazines.com/Skateboard!(UK)Issues/Skateboard!(UK)Issue16.html. I used to love the half pipe which was 55 metres long and had 1/2 metre of vert each side.

Talking about prices you have to multiply those figures by about 5 to get todays prices. My old Z-Ply comes to about £55, so at todays prices that's £275

Garuf said:
I struggle with 360's! I'm guessing we're talking vert 720's?!
Spot the non old skooler :lol: . We used to have many different tricks compared to now. Doing 360's is the same as pirouettes. Used to be able to do 10+ but can only manage about 3 now.

Anyone remember the daffy duck?

Isn't daffy duck a hangten to a toe flip out? I can do those! :D

hahaha I know the one. What about old skool flips, they've long been my favourite trick. Here's my current ride, indys, custom soft rubbers, 54mm wheels 7.8 exit deck.
dsc2480l.jpg

dsc2483n.jpg

Nice one, James.

You don't come across as an adrenaline junky but all the evidence points this way; fast motor bikes, roller coasters, and now skateboards!! :D

There's a guy at work who does it semi-pro. It's like the board is an extension of his body. Incredible to watch.

He's very lucky to be AM at the moment, I used to be sponsored before I broke my ankle and it was hard then, there's barely any money going in and a lot of shops have gone so those that are left are cutting costs where ever they can. Providing stuff to up and comers being the first thing to go.
I miss skating, since I did myself in I must have skated for about 4 months in about 3 years. :( :thumbdown:

Been a bit quiet recently as I've been busy and also I've got a really sore back after building the construction below. You wouldn't believe how much it weighs and I had to manouver it into place. Not quite sure if I built it for my son or me but the wife knows for sure it was for the big kid in the family :D . Only just managed to do a water change for the first time in a while as my back was just too sore before.

SkateboardRamp.jpg

James

Back