• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Long exposure pics from my trip to london

John Starkey

Hi all, the wife and i had a long weekend in london so i tried some long exposure shots for the first time,hope you like them,
IMG_6063.jpg

IMG_6053.jpg

IMG_6014.jpg

regards john.

great john. the 3rd is my fave.

maybe, for next time look at shooting RAW (if you already have not) you can control the W/B and pull out some of the orange tinge. The london eye, could of been shot looking at straight on, you'd maybe capture the motion rendering a perfect white circle.

great attempts though matey :thumbup:

Thanks mark,it was so busy around the area it was hard to find a spot without people walking through the shot,
i set the the white balance to cloudy as i wasnt sure,if i had more time i could have tried different things but the wife was moaning it was cold :lol: ,
regards john.

Wow, nice one John.

Im not a fan of the orange, and I dont think its the best color for the 1st two, maybe flipping them to B&W might work better. But the last pic, cool and funk. I think all you need to do is a little leveler on it and boom, urban beauty!!!!!! Love it.

Nice one mate.

I love them all.

Maybe if you showed a different style (B&W or similar) in between, it would have broken up the orange saturation of the three in one go.

That's just my VERY untrained eye.

Either way I'm jealous, they are brilliant shots John, well done! :D

Nice shots, it is quite different from the other shots of that location. Cloudy white balance actually makes a picture a bit warmer by enhancing the yellows. Could explain why your pics are orange. Next time shoot in RAW, then you can change the WB yourself in the comfort of your own home ;)

Hi all,just for the record I was shooting in raw,I had read an article on how to do long exposure pics and started at the basic settings of F16 and played around with apeture and found F11 to F8 the best area to shoot in,my problem is trying to learn lifhtroom and cs4 I don't like editing my pics to much,but I understand that to get the look you want then you have to use those programs sometimes,
cheers john.

Nice shots mate!

If you don't like alterting white balance in software then it's really easy to do in-camera using Live View. This way you can see exactly how the shot will look even before you take it.

Just turn on Live View - then select white balance, then move the dial up and down and see the results change the view on the LCD screen. The K rating can be adjusted from 2500K up to 10000K. The lower end is ideal for 'orange' lighting, higher end for 'bluer' lighting. I use it sometimes for full tank aquarium shots with tricky ambient lighting.

I actually like the orange in your shots. Creates a nice warmth that contrasts well with the coolness of city life in winter.

Thanks George I never thought of using live view,makes sense now you mention it,I really enjoyed it so I'm going try some in Worcester when I get time,
regards john.

john starkey said:
Thanks mark,it was so busy around the area it was hard to find a spot without people walking through the shot,
i set the the white balance to cloudy as i wasnt sure,if i had more time i could have tried different things but the wife was moaning it was cold :lol: ,
regards john.

It's never easy to take pics when the wifes waiting!! My other half usually gives me 10 minutes and then I get the eye :wideyed:

Back