• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim 2073 Leaking

Ross

Well I cleaned my filter the other day and the next morning it had filled my cabinet with water :oops:
I ran it and watched it and when it gets going the water starts gushing out around the 4 clips around the head but I have checked the seal and it seems fine,there is no water coming from the pipes ect.So dose anybody have any idea whats going on?I have ordered a new head seal in case it is that and I have my fingers crossed :DThank God I have a JBL external and a Eheim internal as well :thumbup:

Ross said:
Well I cleaned my filter the other day and the next morning it had filled my cabinet with water :oops:
I ran it and watched it and when it gets going the water starts gushing out around the 4 clips around the head but I have checked the seal and it seems fine,there is no water coming from the pipes ect.So dose anybody have any idea whats going on?I have ordered a new head seal in case it is that and I have my fingers crossed :DThank God I have a JBL external and a Eheim internal as well :thumbup:

Ross
if the water is coming from around the clips its probably the head unit seal - have you made sure the the adaptor is in secure (adaptor is the part where the pipe attach and is pushed into the head unit Part No. 7428718) Parts diagram attached.

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/bigpic ... s_2073.htm

Regards
paul

Yes everything is secure and all the clips pull the head tightly down to the main body but it starts to drip around the clips and then run out.

Ross said:
Yes everything is secure and all the clips pull the head tightly down to the main body but it starts to drip around the clips and then run out.

Ross, try removing the seal and put plenty of Vaseline all around the gully where the seal fits. Then smear the top of the seal too. Check for any cracks or spits in the seal.

If that doesn't work then its likely to be the seal within the head.

I have had a good look at the seal and it seems to be fine but I have a new one coming and if that dose not stop it leaking I will be annoyed.

Hi Ross
I hope all that water in your cabinet didn't damage it :thumbdown:. I second Paul's advice on vaselining the seal - that did the trick for me when I had the exact same issue. And if it works for you, you'll have the spare seal in reserve!

I have not tried the Vaseline yet but the water gushes out of it when I tip it on its side :thumbdown: Rather disappointing for a 150 quid filter that is only 5 or 6 months old.

Yup, mine spewed water out too - and cost even more than yours! I was seriously demoralised, too. Trust me, using vaseline to create a proper seal is worth a try, at the very least.

All externals can suffer with this i Vaseline or similar is v important! :thumbup:

Well I have fitted the new seal and its not leaking :thumbup: But its gurgling a lot of air :( I know that it will have trapped air and will take a wee while to clear but dose anybody know roughly how long?

Ross said:

Ross

Keep pushing the priming button - the flow will stop for about 5 - 10 seconds then start again - this will move your trapped air quicker.

Regards
paul.

Or I gently rock mine backwArds and forwards and this soon releases any air bubbles. This happens with all external filters.

Well I am afraid I spoke to soon its still leaking :thumbdown: The water seems to somehow getting into the head and then starts dripping around the top of the clips.I took the head off last night and the was a lot of water in the head some came out from when the power cable goes in not good but I have discovered that that part 7428728 http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/bigpic ... s_2073.htm has somehow come out and I am thinking that this could be causing the problems?Iam enquiringly about an new one form Aquatics Online but I have had nothing back yet.

Ross said:
Well I am afraid I spoke to soon its still leaking :thumbdown: The water seems to somehow getting into the head and then starts dripping around the top of the clips.I took the head off last night and the was a lot of water in the head some came out from when the power cable goes in not good but I have discovered that that part 7428728 http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/bigpic ... s_2073.htm has somehow come out and I am thinking that this could be causing the problems?Iam enquiringly about an new one form Aquatics Online but I have had nothing back yet.

Ross second or third thread reply was have you check the security of that part No. On the front of the filter unit there is a red push button - this button release that part No. and if you refit and push that part no. you should here a click ie the button comes out and its sitting in its correct position.

Put some vasaline round the joints as you may damage the seal if they are dry when refitting.
Regards
Paul

The hose connector that clicks in seems to be somehow stuck in IE when I push the Red Button in it will not release the hose connector and its not because I have been hard with it because I have not.I dont know why it will not release.

I managed to get the hose connector out the reason why it would not pop out is one of the lugs on the side of the hose connector that should go in when you press the red button was stuck out so it would not release.So I got it out and found the one of the ball valves was only half open but the other one would close and open fully and I think thats the reason its been dripping water.

Well I am still having problems with it leaking :thumbdown: So far I have fitted a new hose adapter,a new head seal and I have put plenty of Vaseline around the seal but its still leaking.When I take the head off there is a lot of water in the head somehow.I am not sure hows its getting in the because everything is secure ect?I am starting to pull my hair out now :lol:

Ross

I feel for you buddy! Is this your first external?

One thing to reassure you with is that Eheim kit is generally very well thought of and well engineered.

If i was in this situation, i would do two things.

1) Strip down the whole thing and start again following the instructions and ensure everything is the way it should be. Taking my time and being very methodical. Using vaseline on all seals that they recommend and checking that they seat properly. Run it under observation and if it leaks move to step two!

2) Take photos, note parts and get in touch directly with eheim. They are always good at their customer service and i am sure they will offer far better advice than the online shop you bought it from.

Stick with it, once sorted it will be plug it in, turn it on and forget!

Andyh

Best way to handle it is to contact Eheim and discuss the problem. There isn't much to go wrong with them really. Its just about checking O Rings are seated, not damaged and making sure they are well Vaselined. There are also seals inside the head that need checking.

Importer contact details:
John Allan Aquariums Ltd.
Mr. Allan Riley
Eastern Way Industrial Estate
Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk IP32 7AB

Phone: 01284-755051
Fax: 01284-750960

This is an email address I have from the service department at Eheim
Cornelia.Veith@eheim.de

I would suggest you email Eheim noting the model and problem you are experiencing. They were most helpful and highlighted an issue with my 2028 , sent me a replacement connector FOC. Of course that may not be your problem but I feel sure they will sort it.

Allen Riley at John Allen Aquariums is also most helpful.

It could be a problem with one of the O Rings inside the head. If you are handy, its not difficult to strip down and check it, but talk it through first with John Allen and make sure you have a replacement O Ring kit. With the 2028 there is only one way to reassemble it. If you do it the wrong way you can damage it, so it may well be the same with the 2073.

Ross

There are two more seals within the head unit and these are attached via priming button, take the head unit of the filter unit and turn it up side down and you should see a tear drop shaped object, as you push the priming button with tear drop shape object move up and down around the bottom of the tear is a seal and there is another seal at the top of the tear shaped object, now there are 4 screws removed the screws and with carefull minipulation you can remove the tear shaped object and you should see a round seal approx 20mm lenght check that is sitting corectly - this could be where you problem is.

Regards
Paul.

Back