• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Daniel's 60l cube

DHenry

SPEC:
tank: 40cm x 40cm x 40 cm
filtration: Fluval 104
heat: Hydor 200w inline
light: DIY High Power LED, 6 x 3w
Co2: Easy Carbo, 1ml daily
Fert: TPN+ 1ml daily
Substrate: JBL Aquabasis, black sand
Flora: Sagittaria platyphylla, Samolus valerandi, Anubias nana, Microsorum pteropus, Elocharis acicularis
Fauna: White Cloud Mountain Minnows, Green Neons, Crystal Red Shrimp

Hello,

First I would like to introduce myself. My name is Daniel, I am a designer from Brighton, an avid amateur mechanic/engineer, classic car enthusiast and more recently a keeper of planted aquaria. This journal will follow the progress of my first foray in planted aquariums. I might also add that I have been working to very tight budget and that it is this budget that has forced some of my most creative engineering. I hope to learn a lot here as well as help others who find themselves with budgetary constraints and don't mind a little DIY.

Tank. After a little research I found out that I could have a custom made tank to my own specification for about half the price of those in the shops or online. The only downside was the 6 week wait although i chose to take this as a good exercise in patience as i knew when keeping a planted aquarium I was going to need it. I decided upon a 40cm cube as it would fit my sideboard perfectly and I really liked the look of cubes. The tank was £35.
IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

Filtration. I knew i wanted an external canister as i don't like the look of having equipment in the tank and i wanted to give myself the best start as a newcomer. I found a decent used Fluval 104 online for £15, bargain, plus a set of glass lily pipes from the east for another £25. For filtration media i chose ceramic rings and filter floss.

Lighting. I wanted the best lighting i could afford/build. I didn't fancy changing bulbs every 8 months and for the market prices I knew I could do better. I decided on high output LED's for there low energy, long life, versatility and cheap price tag (If you DIY) I decided to start with 7 x 3w HO LED's, 6 x white and 1 x blue, each bulb has its own heat sink and driver. I started off connecting only 4 of the white LED's but have recently increased my lighting by adding another white and a blue. The case for the lights came in the form of a clear perspex 150mm cube with 120mm PC case fan mounted at the top to take care of the cooling. The 12v supply comes from a modified ATX power supply from another PC and at 330watts it should be more than enough to power my lights, plus it was free. The total cost to build my light was about £60. I would love to know how much light it is putting out but i can say that it is very bright.
IMG_2067.jpg

IMG_2066.jpg

I wanted a relatively low-tech setup as I couldn't afford proper CO2, although with my lighting, filtration and dosing I would say I am in the realms of medium-tech. I decided that EasyCarbo should suffice for CO2 and that I would use TPN+ for fertilizer. I chose JBL Aquabasis, plus some black sand and some fine gravel as my substrate. My hardscape consists of two large stones from the LFS. I got some dwarf hairgrass on sale at the LFS as well as some taller grass (not sure what it is). I decided to keep everything simple to start with and avoid anything that requires a lot of experience to grow.

I set the aquarium up using cold water to begin with. I let it settle for a couple of weeks before adding a pair of white cloud mountain minnows. After another 2 weeks I received a 200w inline heater. A great bit of kit. I gradually increased the temperature over the following weeks to 25C. I started dosing just 1ml of EasyCarbo a day, no other ferts. Growth has been slow but i have had consistently clear water and no major algae. Once i was confident that the tank was cycled I purchased 4 green neons and 3 crystal red shrimp.
IMG_2065.jpg

This photo was taken early on. There was a lot of dead hairgrass when i bought it but it has all gone now. I will upload more recent photos later tonight. Also a distinct lack of fauna.

So far, I have been very pleased. My wife tells me off for staring into my glass box. I have been taking each step slowly so i can fully understand the effects of each thing i do. I have yet to start dosing the TPN+ but I will probably start that next week. Although growth has been slow I can clearly see that it is growing and the lack of any major algae would suggest things are fairly balanced. The most important thing i have learned so far, from my tank and from reading of others mistakes is to take time in making any changes so not to upset the balance. My next step is to try and encourage so more growth. I have increased my lighting and my dosage of CO2 and soon will start with a little TPN+.

A further good sign to the health of my aquarium is that one of my CRS is pregnant, she became berried on the 20th of January so is expecting any day now. I hope you like what I have achieved as i have found a lot of inspiration from others here. I will keep you posted. Cheers,

Daniel

Looking brilliant, but start dosing that TPN+ daily and you should see good plant growth :D

How much flow does that 105 kick out? For 60l it strikes me as being very low flow I'm sure.
If you cut the hairgrss down to the subsrate it'll grow back wonderfully it's a faff initially but it's worth it.I love the LED fixture. Fancy making me one for my cube?
Also, what plant is that in the back? It doesn't look aquatic.

IMG_2353.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

These photos were taken yesterday. About 10 weeks since I started. This weekend I will start dosing TPN+. The aquarium sits on the end of my sideboard next to the rum with all ancillaries in the cabinet beneath. My converted PC power supply providing the 12v for the LEDs. Finally, my pregnant crystal red shrimp. Any day now.

Garuf, I am not experienced enough to remark on flow but according to the paperwork my canister is good up to 100l and has an output of 480l/h. I have been meaning to trim down the grass, I will do it this weekend. Send me a PM if your interested in the LED light fixture. I may be able to help. Oh, and the plant in the back, I have no idea what it is, I bought it at the LFS and it seems to be doing well. It has recently started to really spread its roots. Cheers.
IMG_2366.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

JamesM said:
I like some details on how you modded your psu if you could...

Radio Control enthusiasts sometimes do this to run 12v chargers from the mains (instead of a car battery). Theres a few writeups around if you search in the context of RC chargers:

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ ... supply.htm

Never got around to making one myself, though I did think about it :)

As others, im very intrested in the LED lighting. I think the scape looks great too, reminds me of a prehistoric scene, would look excellent with something like a leaf fish, and then a few gobies occupying the lower reigons of the tank.

well done :thumbup:

That LED set up is cool, so bright. I thought the plant at the back looked non-aquatic but hey if it's growing.... Could I suggest maybe increasing the amount of green neons I think they will look really stunning in that tank with about 12, maybe more, keep us posted, T

The plan was for 10 to 20 green neons but the LFS only had 4. I will be getting more. I found various articles online for converting the PSU. I picked bits from the best ones and went down to my local electronics shop for the components. It works really well, stays cool and provides a really stable current for the LEDs as it is inteaded to power computer circuits. If any one is interested in more info on the LED lighting send me a PM. I could also make a more in depth post if people like. I would really like to know how much light it puts out though. The old watts per gallon obviously doesn't apply here as I only have a total of 18 watts.

Nice setup... I think you could try and cut off that bracing for a cleaner look. I really dont understand why manufactures put them on such small tanks. A month ago i bought 28l clearseal tank with the bracing and cut it off without hesitation, result: the tank looks more minimalistic and clean. Problems? dont think so on such small tanks. I've heard people remove bracing on much bigger ones.

I do intend to remove those. However, at the moment my light sits on a piece of glass that is supported by them. I will eventually hang my light from above.

Like this a lot, its really different to see black silicon and a composition only using two rocks. Also great to see someone using their knowledge from elsewhere and applying it to their tanks like with that awesome lighting setup.

I think it's beyond my skills but I'm sure lots of people would be interested in a "how to" for your light!

Very cool lighting setup you've made I too think a "how to" would be a good idea. Also it looks as if the plant you have used in the background is a non aquatic plant commonly sold in shops :crazy: oftern called fountain grass carn't remenber the latin think it begins with O though.

You seem to have set up the tank sideways on (ie, with the front and rear panes facing to the sides, and a side pane facing the front). Was there a reason for this, or do you just prefer how it looks?

Looking good, hope to see it develop.

Mark

For some reason I can't send you PM's re the light. So you'll have to drop me one and I'll try and reply.

Flow wise I'd be wanting more since 60l is about the volume of a 60x30x30 tank which I found to really get good growth I had to use a ex1200 to get sufficient flow at the bases of the foreground plants. Your tank may prove different it all depends on the light really. If you notice algae then it's insufficient flow/co2 related.

Re: Daniel's 60l cube -UPDATE

Did some work this weekend. First, I bought some more plants. I got two bunchs of Java Fern, an Anubias Nano, a Samolus Valerandi and a Sagittaria platyphylia. Second, I did some tidying and crop the hair grass down low. Third, started dosing TPN+. I have done two 30% water changes and all is looking good. I still have the hair algae on the bottom but it hasn't been sending out its long hairs across the tank, hopefully this is a sign that it has started receeding. Also, since i have started dosing TPN+ the Java Fern as well as the unknown tall grass in the back has been pearling a lot. The tall grass has never pearled. Still no sign of baby shrimp but it has to be any day now. She is really fat. All in all I think this is going well for my first ever tank. Take a look.
IMG_2404.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

IMG_2414.jpg

Also, I have two alien seedlings that have sprouted at the front. Not sure where they came from but they are growing well. Still too small to tell what they are but i will keep you posted.

That grassy plant that's in each corner isn't aquatic you know, should probably whip it out pretty soon before it takes to dissolving, something like vallis or c helfri would make a good replacement. :?

Back