• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tropica's expeditions - Pogostemon helferi

wow, How lovely, What i would give to be there now.. I love traveling and foreigne countrys! Althou the kind of people you meet in these tropicAl countrys are very different to how they were in the 60s its still lovely. Im only 25 but i love watching traveliong movies from the 60 because in my opinion that was the best time to exsperiance all these different Countrys as they where as they should be! foreigne.
I also love to surf and if you have ever seen this movie you will understand, ENDLESS SUMMER 1. Its a surfing traveling movie where two guys visit severel countrys in the quest of new waves. Along there way they went to places that no person had actually visited, Met africans that had never actualy met a white man. It was amazing to see! Now all that has gone! Its realy not forigne anymore!

if you watch ENDLESS SUMMER 1 then watch NO 2 STRAIGHT AFTER WHEN THEY VISIT THE PLACES THEY DID IN THE 60S 20 YRS LATER YOU WILL SEE A REAL DIFFERENCE, AND YOU MAY EVEN FEEL GUILTY TO WHAT WE HUMENS HAVE DONE, ND CAUSED,

BACK TO TOPIC HERE! GREAT VID! :)

:)

Everything is still foreign, it just depends how you look at it.

I travel often to South Africa, Cape Town, and every time I meet new people they seems as foreign to me as if I had met a Scottish or Welsh in the UK.

They will have different habits, new ways of looking at world issues and I learn lots from just talking over a cup of coffee.

What you see on the movies is sometimes a idealized version of how natives interact and behave. For example, it is hard to imagine, at least for me ,that in Africa, in the 60's, tribes that had not seen a white person before. Not after over 500 years of colonisation, two world wards and many other expeditions to explore the continent.

In South America, sure, there are tribes that have not seen our "civilization" yet, but not in Africa.

You don't have to travel to meet foreign people, at least not in London. :)

The expedition did look amazing, and I would love to do something like that, but as I recently found out, there are numerous indigenous plants in the UK that would be suitable for a fish tank, so maybe I don't have to go as far as the far east to enjoy a expedition and seeing biotopes.

Maybe one day we can all organize one trip to maybe even southern spain, where it is hot, to see what plants lurk on those riversides.

chilled84 said:
A trip to find plants sounds brilliant :D

I am flying to Cape Town in August, and managed to find a forum similar to the UKAPS, but based in South Africa.

A quick posts on the forum and we are trying to organise a trip to some of the local rivers, as they got the Eerste and Berg River, both with Riparian plants. :)

Need to buy a proper camera to take pictures.

I am also going to go up table mountain, and sleep on the hut. Two years ago I saw mosses on the water pools, although it was rather cold, this time I will bring some back down and try to document them.

ghostsword said:
The expedition did look amazing, and I would love to do something like that, but as I recently found out, there are numerous indigenous plants in the UK that would be suitable for a fish tank, so maybe I don't have to go as far as the far east to enjoy a expedition and seeing biotopes.

unfortunately brings to mind as a child 45 years ago, fishing for tiddlers and sticklebacks, barefooted in a local stream. strangely enough i only live a few hundred meters from this place and occasionally pass, but alas the watercourse now looks like tar, with the run off from the roads, and the only living i have seen living in there in the last 20 years, was a scrawny rat.
of coarse though, there are still rivers with lush plant growth and healthy fauna around (which i visit) that are unaffected, and in my eyes they are places of outstanding natural beauty!

Back