• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

first tank above 100l (70x40x40)

whitey

Seedling
Hi.

I'm slowly moving stuff from old tank to new one. After nearly 2 months of diy bonanza, I managed finally paint the cabinet and put all together all bits and pieces and make new T5 light. Anyway I'm not 100% happy with the light so that needs to be change in the future. Ok, some of the details about the tank
dimensions: 70x40x38h
light: diy hood, 3 x 24W T5 (Philips 880, osram 840, sylvania grolux)
fintration: EX600
CO2: JBL system + 600g welding CO2 DIY difusser made from inline water filter plus heater
substrate: sand foreground + peat moss with ordinary B&Q slow release fertiliser and akadama on the top
plants (will be): Microsorum, Glosstigma elatonides, Sagittaria subulata; Bacopa caroliniana, Rotala macandra, Bacopa monnieri; Background: Heteranthera zosterifolia, Mayaca fluviatilis, Ludwigia repens 'Rubin', Cardamine lyrata. Some crypts, Java moss, Rotala wallichii.
fish&inv (will be): 6 Red tetras, two false siamensis, 4 corydoras, 4 red cherry shrimps.
At the moment I can show only the first attempt to hardscape, soon more pictures.

new_tank01.jpg

Looks really nice, is that redmoor wood?
Tetratec ex600 will have a hard time doing the job, i would go for something not less than ex1200 or similar from another manufacturer.

Hi. yes that's redmoore roots. I know that EX600 is not the best option, but at the moment I haven't got a money to upgrade. I'm thinking about inline pump like eheim hobby or ocean runner 2500 to make close loop and use that pump for water circulation and water change as well. will see...

Yep, a powerhead could be an option. Just dont put too much powerful, i you have any old internal filters that will do a good job if you take a powerhead out.
What brand of tank is that?
I was thinking for exactly the same dimensions for my home tank, i have juwel 180 at the moment and its just to big for my room.

Hi. The tank I've ordered from mainhead aquatics, but don't remember who exactly is making custom aquariums for them. If you like I can figure out and let you know.

Hi all. First photo from new setup. Bit mess and some of the technical eq still visible, but I really proud of myself I've done it with two boys constantly running around :lol:
DSC_8164.jpg

Mind the Corys dont mess up that nice line in the substrate, mine seem to rescape the floor of my tank at will :lol:

Regards

Ollie

Looks nice. Its a pity cories will most definetely will arrange averything to their liking as mentioned above :lol:
I really like that wood, just perfect size and placement :thumbup:

OllieNZ said:
Mind the Corys dont mess up that nice line in the substrate, mine seem to rescape the floor of my tank at will :lol:

Regards

Ollie

CORYS dont mix with sand and substrate, trust me i know and i spent two days trying to net them out , no more corys no more mess, i tweezered out all the aquasoil from sand back to where it should be, they also uproot a hell of a lot of plants.

Nice job on the tank, looks great.

Really nice, what is the big green stem in the middle? I must admit to having tried the white sand front look and failed due to shrimp re-arranging things :lol:

Hi. That's stargrass, growing like a weed. I know about the "beach", anyway I'll wait until glosso and hair grass cover akadama and then should be easier, will see. Cheers

That's the best example, even having even good camera (Nikon SLR) you can make such a crap photo :lol:
Anyway this is better than the previous one.
DSC_8254_20100215.jpg

the akadama is good stuff isnt it, and very cheap. its what i used in my journal (see my sig)

in the first pic, is that bloodworm the corries are eating? take it its live stuff?

Hi all.
Small update. I gave up sand on front of the tank (cyano). Instead I've put akadama. I had to throw some glosso and hairgrass unfortunately so almost starting from scratch. Fluval 204 has been added as well. Almost nothing inside, just for water circulation/water change some pictures maybe soon. Live stock has been changed as well, I no longer have false siamensis (had two) and now I got 4 otocinulus.
Picture below:
4425704900_9937d5522f_o.jpg

Cheers.

Looking much better than at the start :thumbup: Nice growth
You've made the right decision giving up on sand. How are your algae? any problems?
I would have planted hairgrass a bit closer to the front glass though for more balanced look.
Can send you some more glosso for free to get a nice carpet faster just pm me your address.

Back