• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My old 180 rimless redone

plantbrain

Expert
Staruotropica180.jpg

Decided to use the Staruogyne for a foreground. One of the few weeds that the royal plecos would not maul and uproot daily.
Tank has some work to do still for nicer grouping for the rear, still somewhat undecided... but it's on it's way.
See how many fish and critters you can spot.

Regards,
Tom Barr

i can spot 2 whiptails (plus a cherry shrimp i believe) but they are well camoflaged!

how do you find the whiptails? ive been considering one or two for my tank.

are the visible during the daylight hours (e.g active, out and about)
do they eat much algae?
are they chronic uprooters of plants?

I always look forward to your tanks, Tom. They're the healthiest and often most capably scaped tanks going and this one is no exception, the staurgauyne looks wonderful in such large ammounts and I love the whole dutch/nature thing that's going on.

Tom

Love the scape and plant selection, the plants look so healthy!

Any advice on keeping Blyxa?

Andyh

Stunning looking tank! How long have you had it set up for like this?

Nick16 said:
i can spot 2 whiptails (plus a cherry shrimp i believe) but they are well camoflaged!

how do you find the whiptails? ive been considering one or two for my tank.

are the visible during the daylight hours (e.g active, out and about)
do they eat much algae?
are they chronic uprooters of plants?

I have
12 Lamontichthys filamentosus(Royal farowella long fin)
120 Cards
300 Super red cherries? I use a modified turkey baster for non colorful culls
3- Choc emperor plecos
1 vampire
1 P spinosus
1 Goldy toe, (S aureus)
No idea on Amano shrimp count(20-30)

The royals are great, much nicer fish than Sturisoma species. Very active and quicker.
I do not keep plecos for algae cleaning. They mow wood aggressively, but I have tanks with them and the wood is still fine.

With things like HC, Gloss, Utric's etc, they will uproot, most plecos will.
Not with this plant or it's pointy leaf cousin:

redoneleopard.jpg

I have 10 Leopard frogs in this tank, 50-80 RCS, and 70 super Brass tetra.
I hacked the fron basketball sized Bolbitus and took out a couple of handfuls of fissidens so it's a bit bare, but was getting overgrown and out of balance. In 1-2 months, the tank will be back to the way it should be.

60cubefeb15th.jpg

Unlike the other weed in the 180, the plecos in this tank are able to grub through the canopy under the plants.
Both plants where chosen for their ability to cohabitate with the plecos and match well.

If all I ever did was put foo foo fish, small dainty tetra and few Amano shrimp, you can keep any plants you want, but that has almost never been my goal. I got into wood and plants for the fish I like.

I never forgot that.
Still, I cull about 30-50 RCS a month now, and the stems of the Staruo go for about 3-4$ a stem and I have a long wait list for sales. Like a farm that takes little work, I sell livestock and crops.
Low light, little work involved, have the fish species I want and it looks okay as well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Garuf said:
I always look forward to your tanks, Tom. They're the healthiest and often most capably scaped tanks going and this one is no exception, the staurgauyne looks wonderful in such large ammounts and I love the whole dutch/nature thing that's going on.

I think few would call it dutch, much too open and likely far more current than any dutch tank I know of.
Tank is not at it's peak, it'll be a few more months, and I'm not decided really on the back ground plants.

I had a horde of Tonia for sometime, I liked that, but I cannot get at it easily where the tank is now placed.
Tonia is a weed and harder to hack than P stellata which responds better to topping.

A nice group of uruguayan swords would do well, but they would become massive in this tank after 3-4 months and be tough to deal with. I had some taller grasses like Cypreus etc. L aromatica etc is also there, but I just do not like it for some reason here. I do not play the artsy rhetoric with why I do not like it, it's more basic and primal. I go with my gut, no need to analyze further for me. Some get turned off by Science mumbo jargon, I'm that way with art talk ;)

Regards,
Tom Barr

andyh said:
Tom

Love the scape and plant selection, the plants look so healthy!

Any advice on keeping Blyxa?

Andyh

CO2, CO2 and CO2.
It's a frigging weed.

Hardest plant in the tank to beat and hack back.

Regards,
Tom Barr

jonnyjr said:
Stunning looking tank! How long have you had it set up for like this?

A few months. About 6?

Tried to reestablish HC and other foreground plants, nope, plecos ripped it up.

Took about 2-3 months to fill in like this from about 10-12 stems.

Regards,
Tom Barr

and theres me struggling to even get blyxa to gorw, have had two lots now and both have just gone mushy in the tank. its a mystery believe me, i dont have anything in the tank so they co2 is cranked nice and high!

would love to get my hand on some super red cherries, but they arent that common in the south of the UK. i had a topic on here before trying to get my hands on them.

whats the difference between Lamontichthys filamentosus (or other plecs form the Lamontichthys family) and the whiptails.

i cant see the difference between 'twigs' and 'whiptails'. or are they basically the same thing?

cheers

EDIT: i realise that twig catfish are thinner and look more like twigs funnily enough! i prefer whiptails tbh.

Nick16 said:
and theres me struggling to even get blyxa to gorw, have had two lots now and both have just gone mushy in the tank. its a mystery believe me, i dont have anything in the tank so they co2 is cranked nice and high!

would love to get my hand on some super red cherries, but they arent that common in the south of the UK. i had a topic on here before trying to get my hands on them.

Blyxa will in most cases melt like crazy when first introduced to a different tank. Just be patient with it.

LondonDragon is the man for shrimp :thumbup:

Beautiful tank, Tom. Loving the carpet :)

This plant is easy to handle and deal with. Pruning responds well. I pulled out 20 plants from this picture BTW that same day, you can see a little evidence of this, but not much.

The other side of the tank is filling in, but will take a bit longer. That's the side where all the feeding an dpleco munching goes on, so it's a bit tougher on the plant. But they have established well and are filling in.

Regards,
Tom Barr

JamesM said:
Nick16 said:

Blyxa will in most cases melt like crazy when first introduced to a different tank. Just be patient with it.

LondonDragon is the man for shrimp :thumbup:

Beautiful tank, Tom. Loving the carpet :)
but when its already battered and melted before you plants it, its not easy!

Its amazing Tom! Shame about the trouble with the plecs, i thought maybe my Bn would rip up some plants in the new tank i have done, luckily, its all good.

George Farmer said:
Very nice, Tom.

The Staurogyne/Blyxa combo is a bit different, maybe a bit too regimented for some, but I like it.

The wood looks spotless for a mature tank. Testiment to your plecs!

Yes, I agree.
I went around a few times with the idea, but like simpler layouts at larger scales, easier to care for design and layouts. I could add texture and some variety here and there easily, but the shading of the wood and lower light are more important for myself. Adding some more "natural" look might be a goal of some aquascapers, however, as an aquarist, there's a lot more to aquariums than merely aquascapes. I chose this based on the plants and ease of care here, not anything to do with design some much, that's a secondary consideration actually, always has been with me.

If I added some textures around the base of the wood, different background and had a more sloping lay of the tank from the focal point, I would get more "points". However, that assumes I actually care about such points and scaping rules.
Some of my other tanks have the more natural feel and less ordered look, and another has a more garden textured look.
My taste might change and I might neglect things from time to time.

Still, I pick at the tank, the plants, the fish, the filtration, the current patterns, the design etc and change it to better suit my goals.

This tank is much easier than most tanks folks have.
And it's a heck of RCS and stem plant farm, making about 100-200$ a month these days. More than enough to pay for it's electrical/chemical cost. But not labor..........

So that(labor) was minimized.

You also are only seeing part of the tank at a slightly off angle. Reflections are bad at that time of day, could had waited I suppose. The "pleco pen" is a stack of wood in the darkest corner, but I can still see them and check on them if need be.
They gnaw, but not that much really, and the tips and spikes of the wood are where the BBA would start and stay if the CO2 was bad. They cannot/do not gnaw on those areas. It's(some BBA) happened before when I was at the other place. I like my wood, I'm not going to cover it up. I display it in it's full glory. When I do a water change, I can easily dribble Excel on those tips etc and kill any algae, but it's a hassle to do. Still, it's an option if I had to.

Regards,
Tom Barr

plantbrain said:
This tank is much easier than most tanks folks have.
And it's a heck of RCS and stem plant farm, making about 100-200$ a month these days. More than enough to pay for it's electrical/chemical cost.
I never thought of a superb tank like this, great idea.
A self supporting financial and biological ecosystem! :) :clap:
BTW, spotless plant health and incredibly clean look - as always. Still a fan...

Back