• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: 90x45x45 "LlÅ·n Peninsula"

cheers all :D
saintly said:
yeah, real nice mate. it's a shame its a holding tank at the mo.
I know bud, its a pain at the mo but unavoidable. once our conservatory is done i should get access back to the 60cm and get the root and plants moved as im planning to re-scape it with those plants so dont want to lose them.

Loving the rummy noses though as they just move around in a pack all the time. I also got the NA green lamp in the light, had to wait a while for it to come in on the order at TGM but it was worth it. Problem is ive never owned an MH before so I cant compare it to the NAG light but its a LOT different to the T5's i had on. (in a good way)

stuworrall said:
Problem is ive never owned an MH before so I cant compare it to the NAG light but its a LOT different to the T5's i had on.

take a look here....you can get some rough comparisons. you need to browse the whole thing, but there are 1 or 2 tanks side by side, showing the difference.

http://naacademy.pl/Galerie/JAPAN-2009- ... ?photo=337

the smaller tanks, which i believe use T5 have a yellow tinge. the same as NAMH MH lamps. The NAG green is totally different. I've got the NAMH lamp, but would rather use a green.

stuworrall said:
once our conservatory is done i should get access back to the 60cm and get the root and plants moved as im planning to re-scape it with those plants so dont want to lose them.

:p awesome mate! i wish the wife would let me have more than 1 tank. the nano has to go when the 120cm comes back home! :? crazy!

That HC has grown in so well, Stu! Shame about the redmoor bargeing in , but I'm sure it'll all be looking beautifully proportioned again, once you turf it out.
SteveUK said:
Stunning Stu! Those rocks have just aged and blended in so well :)
Stu, do you just leave algae to grow on the rocks? I'm scrubbing it off each week - dunno if I should try leaving it.
Saintly said:
I wish the wife would let me have more than 1 tank. the nano has to go when the 120cm comes back home! :? crazy!
Crazy indeed - does she realise what a major talent you have? I can't imagine Mrs Hirst saying: "I'm sorry Damien, but one jewel-encrusted skull is enough for any household!", can you? :angelic:

saintly said:
stuworrall said:
Problem is ive never owned an MH before so I cant compare it to the NAG light but its a LOT different to the T5's i had on.
take a look here....you can get some rough comparisons. you need to browse the whole thing, but there are 1 or 2 tanks side by side, showing the difference.

http://naacademy.pl/Galerie/JAPAN-2009- ... ?photo=337

the smaller tanks, which i believe use T5 have a yellow tinge. the same as NAMH MH lamps. The NAG green is totally different. I've got the NAMH lamp, but would rather use a green.

Cheers for the link mark, some awesome tanks on there. Weve found we like the light output and colour that much that were not putting the room lights on at night now, just the led lights behind the tv and the tank which lights most of the room up :lol:

paul.in.kendal said:
SteveUK said:
Stunning Stu! Those rocks have just aged and blended in so well :)
Stu, do you just leave algae to grow on the rocks? I'm scrubbing it off each week - dunno if I should try leaving it.
Yup paul at the moment ive been leaving the algae on as 1) the shrimps seem to love it and 2) it gives it a nice dark look. ive scrubbed a bit off parts tonight to give the rocks some different contrasts, something like dodging and burning for fish tanks :lol:

Ive spent the night tidying up the tank and getting everything clean. The hospital stage is over as the extra redmoor and plant is back in the 60cm. its also had a trim in parts as the HC and tennelus were going a bit mad.

Ive also put the light a bit higher too as I have been getting some BGA even with the ferts and co2 up high. will see how it goes with it higher. I took the plunge and cut the steel cable down so its neater than before. hopefully ill not need to lower it much in the future! The electric cable has also been tidied up plus I couldn't resist a detail shot of the solar 1 :D

this is just after water change tonight so still a little murky, the rummy noses are hiding in the corner
4366038403_e59a613233_o.jpg

Solar 1 detail
4366783922_804ae6c9a2_o.jpg

Dan Crawford said:
BOOM! Welcome to the club Stu :thumbup: The 'scape is looking awesome to, nice one!
Cheers dan, its a nice one to be in :D
viktorlantos said:
Looking great stu. True NA style. love it :thumbup: ;)
Cheers viktor, thats been the aim although its taken a few months to get there. still needs a little filling in of the HC. Probably my fault that its hasnt filled in as much as ive been lax with the trimming.

I got some cool stainless scissors from a flea market when I was in the US at xmas. They are hairdressing scissors but curved and perfect for trimming lawns! Will have to get some pics taken later

Your tank looks fantastic stu. Your HC has come along so well. :thumbup: Your substrate has matured well too I see.

The rock you have chosen looks alot like serpentine. I havent ever heard of it being in the UK. It is the same rock I have chosen in my tank. The white in it is asbestos, but so long as u dont break it up, grind it or something you should be right. Correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers!

stuworrall said:

Dude! That looks friggin awesome! :text-coolphotos:

The MH is so nice! I am so saving my pennies for one, for my new scape later this yr!
Does it come with that bulb?

The scape looks so much more mature now! Are you EI or not?

FishBeast said:
Your tank looks fantastic stu. Your HC has come along so well. :thumbup: Your substrate has matured well too I see.

The rock you have chosen looks alot like serpentine. I havent ever heard of it being in the UK. It is the same rock I have chosen in my tank. The white in it is asbestos, but so long as u dont break it up, grind it or something you should be right. Correct me if I am wrong.
asbestos! :woot: dont tell the wife or it'll be turfed out! Im not entirely sure what rock it is although i thought it was a mixture of slate and schist. Its been dug out of the hills of north wales to make way for a new sewage works so its definately local. Ill have to have a read up on serpentine

andyh said:
stuworrall said:

Dude! That looks friggin awesome! :text-coolphotos:

The MH is so nice! I am so saving my pennies for one, for my new scape later this yr!
Does it come with that bulb?

The scape looks so much more mature now! Are you EI or not?
Cheers andy :thumbup: The MH is well worth it I think. I could have gone down the route of a cheaper MH with an ADA bulb but i just loved the look of the solar 1.

TGM got me the light, i had to wait for the newest delivery though as the one in the shop was a normal bulb. Probably best to speak to TGM to see how they order them, I think the model number with the "1" on the end is the NAG bulb.

Im trying ADA ferts on this one at the moment and its been going really well. Currently dosing 9ml step 2 and ive made a mixture of potasium carbonate up which is apparently the same as brighty K (ish). thats getting 9ml per day too along with 10ml of easycarbo. Ill get around to trying EI one day!

Thanks for the info on MH, i am really taken by it!

Like you i am using ADA ferts with great success and have no reason to change as in both our cases the results speak for themselves! :thumbup: I like the simplicity and ease of it all!

Get a photo of the rummy noses shoaling in a "V" formation across the tank has to be your next challenge!

Hey Stu, do you have any details on the light bar? I need one for my tank and yours stays in my mind as being one of the best. Where did you get it from, how much etc?
Do you think they'd deliver? :lol:

Looks mint Stu, and the ADA system does really work.

Love the photography as always mate. Getting some cheap back lighting would bring that back drop out with the view of a higher impact. Cheap white T8 with reflector on the back of the cabinet should work. 8)

andyh said:
Get a photo of the rummy noses shoaling in a "V" formation across the tank has to be your next challenge!
Im on it :)

skeletonw00t said:
What are the plants in the background mate? They are really nice - I might look at getting some for my aquarium!
Its echinodorus tenellus, a bleedin weed in this tank as its completely taken over the hairgrass in parts

Graeme Edwards said:
Looks mint Stu, and the ADA system does really work.

Love the photography as always mate. Getting some cheap back lighting would bring that back drop out with the view of a higher impact. Cheap white T8 with reflector on the back of the cabinet should work. 8)
Cheers Graeme :D As it happens ive got a nice little t8 starter and bulb here which I did intend to fit before I filled it with water but never got around to it :(

Garuf said:
Hey Stu, do you have any details on the light bar? I need one for my tank and yours stays in my mind as being one of the best. Where did you get it from, how much etc?
Do you think they'd deliver? :lol:
I got it made locally at a small engineering company. Its 20mm stainless steel tube, 180cm high and 1cm wider than the tank on each end to stop it banging on the glass. the Mounts are custom made for the stand.

It cost £80, pretty sure they wont deliver as this was a very small job for them. they usually do stainless staircases and big stuff like that which probably runs into the thousands so I dont think they would be mass producing anything like this. I did draw them a plan and will try and find it and scan it if I still have it. Might be worth showing something similar to someone local to you from the yellow pages?

andrejacobs81 said:
Awesome setup Stu!

How much did the aquarium and cabinet cost you?
cheers andre and welcome to the forum. It was about £332 from aquariums ltd for the tank and cab. That was a picked up price and not delivered.

I just posted a small vid oon youtube of one of my shrimps on a rock getting buzzed by the rummy nose shoal. Not a quality video but still learning on that front

Can you embed videos here yet?

Your scape looks fantastic Stu. I wouldnt worry about the rock. Besides, it looks great!

stuworrall said:
Can you embed videos here yet?

not sure mate. the vimeo account allows you to embed videos on sites. i've not tried it yet. actually yes, viktor and paulus have me on their sites. which is embedded.

http://viktorlantos.com/wordpress/2010/ ... ans-fotoi/

Stu! are you now a 5D mK2 user? :geek:

nice little Vid. I'm now trying to get my head around editing software :wideyed:

The tank looks killer mate.

Back