• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Spraybars, inline CO2 and distribution

Pixels

Hello all

I am after some advice on filters and CO2 on a planned 36" x 24" x 18" tank.

I was considering two Eheim 2217 classics, a Hydor external heater and an Up Atomizer for heat and CO2. I will be running spray bars, but my concern is with CO2 distribution and the different rates of flow from having an inline heater on one filter?

For example if CO2 is coming out of the right hand side spray bar should I expect CO2 problems on the left???

Cheers
Pix

If you were having two spray bars then they are going to be roughly 15 inches each, where as if you run a spray bar for the co2/heat. With a lilly pipe on the other external you will get a better distribution of co2 due to the whole length spray bar. BTW I have a tank that size and the proportions are good for getting a good depth of field but not so tall that light intensity is a problem.

Hi johnyjr

I'm glad the you have the same size tank and like it. I have been thinking about it for ages! I admit I wanted bigger, but apparently we have to keep the sofa!!! So extra height it was!

Running one spay bar for heat/CO2 sounds like a good idea. I will then have more control over direction with the other filter and I can supplement this a pump as well if I feel/find the need.

I did consider that the money I would save by denying myself a Eheim 2080/2180 could be put to splitting the CO2 with two separate needle valves? But I think I like your idea better and cheaper.

As much as I like the open braceless look, I also want a lower maintenance tank for the lounge. I probably won't run a lily pipe as it will be an Aquariums ltd standard with open hood and I am not quite sure how it would fit, but I can certainly see the benefit of having directional control of the second filter.

Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated and stops going mad!
Pix

Hi

I ran my Up Atomiser through my spray bar, but about every 15 seconds a huge CO2 bubble would start to build up and make a loud gurgling noise. (very distracting and actually made the fish jump!) Tried to eliminate it, but couldn't. I decided inline CO2 and spray bar wasn't good for me.

Andy

Hi Andy

Thanks for that bit of info, not sure I like the sound of gurgling!

Maybe I will try an inline reactor, I have had my eye on the Lunapet bypass reactor, but was concerned about flow restriction with both CO2 and heater on a single filter.

I guess if I have one filter introducing heat and CO2 at the top of the tank across its entire length. Then the other filter can provide circulation and I can always add a pump for more water movement.

If anyone has any better suggestions for inline CO2???

Cheers
Pix

I'm curious as to your reasoning behind having two filters, are they both going to be full of media, or are you laving one empty purely for flow? It might be an idea to have just the one filter, and concentrate on getting the right flow in the tank using a pump. As you said it is going to be an open top so the less pipe work the better.

For the price you would be paying for just one of your Eheims you could get this:
http://www.cdaquatics.co.uk/aquaone-aqu ... mpaign=All
I have the older model and it is fault less. Dave Spencer on here has just bought one from the range so would also be your man to ask regarding his opinion on it, but for the price and 4 year warranty you cant go wrong. Leaving you more money for other aspects of your tank.

Hello johnyjr

I will try to explain my reasoning.

I plan upgrade my low-ish maintenance tank, the new tank will house all my existing crypts. I am also a keen keeper of anabantoids and as such would like to keep spray bars on my outlets.

It is best to consider the tank closed as it will have a condensation cover. When I say open top, I mean lidless so that I can reuse my existing luminaire.

I am planning on one of these: http://www.aquariums.ltd.uk/Cabinets List.asp?AQCabType=stadiarange

I figure one Eheim 2217 with heater/CO2 inline would not be enough flow, so I considered adding another, this would also give me a fail safe and I could stagger cleaning.

As for why I chose Eheim, I know they are expensive, but I have always had good experience with them and I am prepared to pay the extra. However, I posted on here for ideas and suggestions and I will have a very good look at the filter you suggest.

Cheers
Pix

Back