• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter media for a second external?

Steve Smith

Hey all.

I will have a Fluval 204 arriving next week from someone on TFF, and its comming without any media (as you might expect). I'll be adding it to my 180 litre tank to go along side my Tetratec EX700 to almost double my filtering capability! (Knew I should of got an EX1200!)

Currently the tank is medium stocked, lightly planted (this will change) and the EX700 has standard coarse/ceramic hoops/bioballs/polishing pads in it.

Anyhow, I was wondering if I should take the oppertunity to load it up with some specific media for either bio or mechanical filtration but I was looking for suggestions as to what setup would serve me best?

I always use sintered glass media in my filters as I really like the stuff and feels it provides a huge surface for bacterial growth, but as you already have a filter it really won't matter what you put in. One thing though whatever you add, don't pack it too full to allow maximum flow rates as this will be the realt benefit of your extra filter. You could always leave the top section empty so you have room if you want to use carbon or Purigen to clear the water.

I was thinking maybe I could use the second filter to attach a CO2 reactor and maybe an inline heater, as my other filter is running through an inline UV steraliser.

I might go with biological and a little mechanical. Never used sintered glass before, I'll look it up and read about it, thanks for the tip!

Back