• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

what is the best recipe for DIY co2 ?

lil-lynx

hello i have a small 100 litre tank with the hagen ladder for a diffuer. was just wounding what is the best recipe for diy co2 and how long it will last ? also what would i do night, because plants dont use co2 at night right ?

Hi.
In my hagen canisters I use 100ml of sugar, 5ml of bicarb of soda and 1.5ml of yeast with 500ml of water
I use camping bottles with a hole drilled in the lid and the co2 tube siliconed into place for my larger, 100l tank, and I double the recipie because the container is double the size.
A lot of people find that yeast co2 is unstable, but I use two of the same size canisters on each tank, both joined with a Y piece, and I change alternate canisters weekly. I find this gives a more stable release of co2. Also, I change canisters in the night when the lights go off, so hopefully the reaction has started by morning, preventing large co2 fluctuations which can induce algae.

Oh, also, forgot to say, I personally don't find the Hagen ladder to be the best diffuser because bubbles were escaping after not completely diffusing into the water column. I personally find the el scaffo glass diffusers from fleabay work better.

Back