• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How do you stop tannins discolouring water?

Tomo

Hello,

I've read that some people varnish pieces of bamboo before placing them in their tank. Can anyone tell me firstly, is this safe? If so, which varnish should be used? Lastly, would varnishing my bogwood stop the tannins being released into the water? Even after weeks of soaking before putting the wood into my tank, it is still staining the water a tea colour.

Thanks

Tomo

Best thing is lots of water changes to remove the colour. There is not much you can do to stop the leaching.

If your bogwood is not to big - boil it or soak it in boiling water for at least a week but keep adding hot water.

Regards
paul.

I just let the tannins leak into the water. I do like the colour of the tannis, but then again I do a water change every few days as I keep dicus fish.

But for my smaller tanks Ive boiled the wood for a few hours and then soaked in water overnight before adding into my other tanks.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your advice. I'll have a go at boiling the wood.

I have a Fluval U2 Series filter. I took the carbon filter out of the filter because it said that it removes chemicals and odours fromthe tank. This is good, but the reason I took it out is that I was worried it would also remove my plant ferts. How does the carbon filter distinguish between chemicals and easy carbo/easy pro fito? Surely they're chemicals too? It sounds to me like the carbon filter would remove these too. Any explanations please?

Thanks

Tomo

Thanks for your replies , wont worry about carbon taking out easycarbo/profito just up the dosing slightly.

Purigen is also another option as it is more effective than carbon and doesnt affect your ferts

Don't forget how good tannins can be for different species of fish and plants depending on your system. Not the best coloured water in the world for a bit, but I've had several species of South American Cichlids spawning in fairly tannined water. :D

Back