• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Getting good CO2 distribution with 2 filters

Aeropars

Hi guys,

I posted this in the filters section but didnt get much of a response. I need a relativly quick answer so I can place an order for the correct equipment. Hope the mods don't mind!

Im getting a second filter to up my filtration and flow rate.

My existing one is about 1000 lph and the new one will be about 1500 lph.

I have 2 questions:

What filter would you recommend an in like co2 reactor to be put on to?

With the co2 coming out of only one spraybar, how to I ensure the CO2 is distibuted well?

All help apreciated!

Lee

co2 reactors can go on most filters. i have mine on the outlet, as it makes it easier and doesnt get clogged with all the rubbish going into the filter.
a more power filter is going to chop up the bubbles better, but it depends on what you would prefer. having the 1500 with the reactor, or leaving it free.

koralias are a great way to spread the co2 around, i have one of mine pointing at the spraybar to help push some bubbles up the other end of the tank. another good method are lily pies. which i am considering getting a set of. so i only have one spraybar in my tank and not two.

Thanks for the reply.

I was intending on putting the reactor on the larger flow filter but given the spraybars will be pointing forward (aiming form the back to the front) only half of the water will be CO2 rich. I didnt want to have the koralia in there as well really.

Ed has suggested that the turnover should be enough to mix the co2 well but just wanted to be certain on this before i order the new filter.

I don't really want to add even more to the tank. I wanted 2 ifilters and zero powerheads.

Im putting the CO2 on the powerful filter because I beleive i've hit the wall with how much CO2 i can get in the tank. If i put in any more CO2 the reactor has gas buildup and the CO2 level doesnt increase due to the throughput.

Aeropars said:
Well, I'm still no closer to figuring this out. Woudl anyone else care to comment?

My view on this would be to connect your CO2 reactor to your most powerful filter and let it run on that. The skill will be then positioning the filter return so that is spreads well throughout the tank. The ideal situation would be for the two filter returns flows to be crossing a little to allow for more diffusion of the CO2.

You may end playing with the different types of return e.g spraybar, wide-jet outlet, lilly pipes etc. Flow is crucial and is dependant of the type of scape/plants/hardscape/size you have in the tank. Until its setup you wont really know how it will perform and you may decided to have 1 spray bar and one with a wide jet. That's the challenge :thumbup:

If you're going with 2 spraybars on the back pane facing forwards, you'd probably have to go with 2 reactors. I had the same setup as you and initially went for a single reactor. In no time at all, the side without the reactor had BBA growing on the rocks! I ended up with 2 reactors, CO2 split between the two.

Here's what my setup looked like: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8130#p88678. I would've liked to use the "Shepherd's Crook" type of output, but my tank as a hood and bracing along the sides at the top. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply guys.

I've been speaking to clive who also had the two co2 outlets but thats not really an option for me due to limited space.

Whats peoples thought on this scenario:

instead of having the inlet and outlet of one filter on the same side giving a co2 rich and non co2 rich side, if i put the inlet for the non-co2 filter into the side where the co2 rich water is and vice versa, woudl this be sufficient?

In effec this would mean the filter with the diffuser on woudl take non co2 rich water form the left hand side and output it on the right hand side. then the other filter takes CO2 rich water and chucks it out on the other side, kinda like crossing the streams?

My other option is to sell the Eheim pro 2 and buy a much bigger filter. But what to get?!

That's an interesting idea... you should try it out for a bit and see how it performs. How about repositioning the spray bars so that the both push water in the same direction along the length of the tank?

In general I prefer to have 2 smaller filters than 1 big filter assuming that the overall turnover is the same. Having 2 filters usually means more filtration volume capability and the ability to fine-tune water flow in a tank.

Well, i could try it but that means actually buying the filter. I'm a little concerned that if I get the filter and the concept doesnt work then i'm back to square 1 but £100 down.

I'm just determined to get it right this time having spend the last 2 years with ok tanks but with some problems. I long for a tank a sclean as those paraded on here and i really think its down to filtration.

Lee

Aeropars said:
Whats peoples thought on this scenario:

instead of having the inlet and outlet of one filter on the same side giving a co2 rich and non co2 rich side, if i put the inlet for the non-co2 filter into the side where the co2 rich water is and vice versa, woudl this be sufficient?

This is what I was considering doing.

Hopefully I should be able to get it set up tonight

Back