• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andyh's - Dragon Beach

Looks very nice indeed Andy, my first planted tank is getting closer with hopefully only one Stingray left to sell before I can get started!

rawr said:
I really really like this! :) Nice one

Cheers Thomas!
chilled84 said:
Very nice andy, Your scapes are always fresh looking. Hope my standards can brush up to this one day. :thumbup:
Thanks Dude, your tank is coming along very nicely!
MarineHart said:
Looks very nice indeed Andy, my first planted tank is getting closer with hopefully only one Stingray left to sell before I can get started!
Cheers ! Looking forward to seeing your 5ft planted! :thumbup:

Chocolate Gouramis doing well they really seem to like tetra prima!

All the plants growing well, plan to prune the moss, fissidens and hydrocotyle tomorrow. Just to keep them in check.

:thumbup:

Truly amazing scape and the choice of fish is just right. Choc Gouramis are very nice and you will enjoy them

This is looking terrific, Andy. I don't think the 50:50 split is worth worrying about. The Rule of Thirds is misnamed - it's a guideline, not a strict rule. If you'd put a main focal point smack bang in the centre (as if you would!), that'd be different, but this is merely a transition.

With the hydrocotyle, do you find it uproots easily? Mine does, and I've given up trying to replant it - I just chop the floaty bits off! And that glosso is looking more attractive all the time... :D

Love the gouramis, too. I started this hobby for the plants - not really interested in the fish. But I think they're steadily getting to me!

Hi Andy,gorgeous little scape,i like the fact that you do things your way and try things we dont normally see,
great work,i wish i could sell my big setup so i can have two smaller ones which would make life easier,but if i am stuck with it i wont let it get run down,i have a big rescape planned for the summer (with Dans help i hope)it will be a low light moss and ferns setup,
regards john.

paul.in.kendal said:
This is looking terrific, Andy. I don't think the 50:50 split is worth worrying about. The Rule of Thirds is misnamed - it's a guideline, not a strict rule. If you'd put a main focal point smack bang in the centre (as if you would!), that'd be different, but this is merely a transition.

With the hydrocotyle, do you find it uproots easily? Mine does, and I've given up trying to replant it - I just chop the floaty bits off! And that glosso is looking more attractive all the time... :D

Love the gouramis, too. I started this hobby for the plants - not really interested in the fish. But I think they're steadily getting to me!

Hey Paul, Cheers i am really happy its turning out! As hey plants grow the 50:50 is less obvious, so gonna follow you advice and leave it!

My hydroctotyle Sibthorpioides does throw out long runners that don't necessarily grow in the gravel all the time. However i encourage them ;) The Glosso will be with you asap. Mine is growing really well. :thumbup:

I was a fish keeper and got into the planted tanks much much later, i think the fish selection is really important as it adds the correct visual interest alongside the plants.
john starkey said:
Hi Andy,gorgeous little scape,i like the fact that you do things your way and try things we dont normally see,
great work,i wish i could sell my big setup so i can have two smaller ones which would make life easier,but if i am stuck with it i wont let it get run down,i have a big rescape planned for the summer (with Dans help i hope)it will be a low light moss and ferns setup,
regards john.

Thanks Mr Starkey! Hope your well?
I do like to create my own style, i take inspiration from all the tanks i see, but like to put my spin on it 8)
By the way when you say "gorgeous little scape" you do realise that this is my big one and its only 60l ! My other is setup is my small one 35l! You chaps with massive tanks :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was very impressed with your setup, what have you got planned for the new one?

So my Stiphidon Gobies have now been added, already they look at home after only a couple of days. They are eating well and have big bellies so they have survived there time in my holding tank. They are such character fish and are generally either; a) eating/rasping algae, b)"Squaring up" to each other, or c) perched on a rock watching.
Here are a couple of pics:
web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

:thumbup:

Awesome fish, I'm jealous. Shame my 'sumatran stiphodon' was a loach in disguise, I'll keep these guys in mind if/when I get a bigger tank. Lovely pictures too btw! :D

I nice gobies i got the sameones.
Andy can I ask you something please. You know when you first got the gobies did the hide away for a few days because mine seems to be hiding/ or dug a hole. I can see them anywhere :crazy:

Those stiphodon are really cool. I hope to try some of those someday.

NeilW said:
Awesome fish, I'm jealous. Shame my 'sumatran stiphodon' was a loach in disguise, I'll keep these guys in mind if/when I get a bigger tank. Lovely pictures too btw! :D
Neil,cheers! easier to take photos of than most fish as they like to sit still, :) most maidenhead aquatics can get these now.
Krish's Bettas said:
I nice gobies i got the sameones.
Andy can I ask you something please. You know when you first got the gobies did the hide away for a few days because mine seems to be hiding/ or dug a hole. I can see them anywhere :crazy:

Generally when you first get the stiphodon gobies they will disappear for at least 2-3 days, in this time they seem to be securing themselves a den/area. They typically do what they do in the wild which is dig/find a little hole under rocks or plants and hide in there. Once they get a little more comfortable you will see lots more of them. They are very active fish.
hydrophyte said:
Those stiphodon are really cool. I hope to try some of those someday.
Cheers, i think they are great and one of the reasons i created this scape with a beach feel to it. ;)

Those gobies are insanely cute! Your photography skills have improved too. How does it feel to keep rolling in success? :D

flygja said:
Those gobies are insanely cute! Your photography skills have improved too. How does it feel to keep rolling in success? :D

Yes the Gobies are very cool! I am toying with doing a tank especially for them.
Thanks for your kind words, i enjoy the photography a lot but i have no real academic knowledge. So just keep playing till i get something right. As for rolling in success.....not quite sure about that ;)

Just like planted tanks and aquascaping, academic knowledge is automatically gained through initial practice. Get your hands wet with a tank and commercial fertilisation, and suddenly a few months later we're reading up on EI methods and the science behind it :thumbup:

flygja said:
Just like planted tanks and aquascaping, academic knowledge is automatically gained through initial practice. Get your hands wet with a tank and commercial fertilisation, and suddenly a few months later we're reading up on EI methods and the science behind it :thumbup:

EI is for mad scientists...lots of evidence of that here on UKAPS! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Krish's Bettas said:
How many kinds of gobies do you have? (colours,species ect)

Currently have:

2 x Stiphidon Semoni (blue neon)
1 x Stiph Elegans (red goby)

MA Shirley has 3 or 4 different types at the moment, or did have last time i was there. o_O

Incidentally Andy, as you know after seeing your gobies i got some Stiphidon Semoni (blue neon).

Im glad to report they are now well active, and coloring up nicely, in addition they spend time on the glass amongst the shoal of Ottos, obviously have a identity problem.

Have yours shown any interest at all in the baby crystal reds?

Back