• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp Bedfellows

mfcphil

Can we start a list of safe fish that can be kept with shrimp in the community tank.

The List other members have so far:
Just to point out this list is based on other members experiences not mine! :!:

Chocolate Gouramis
Ottos
Pygmy Corydoras
Boraras mataculas
Boraras brigittae (chilli rasbora)
Stiphidon Gobies
Badis Badis
Corydoras Sterbi
Threadfin Rainbows
Harlequins
Emerald eye rasboras
Ember tetras and similar
*Betta's* with caution
Glowlight tetras and similar (adult shrimps, will eat small shrimps)
Dwarf barb species *with caution*
Checkerboard cichlids
Dwarf rasboras
Small minnows
Most plec species and ancistrus sp's.
Hatchet fish
Most small livebearers (platties or bigger can eat shrimps)
Dwarf puffers

Unsafe
Bosemani Rainbows

well they are veggies so that was an easy one.....if you have shrimp and fish together, what do you have?

I have or do keep shrimps (CRS, Cherry and Amamo) with the following:

Chocolate Gouramis
Ottos
Pygmy Corydoras
Boraras mataculas
Boraras brigittae (chilli rasbora)
Stiphidon Gobies
Badis Badis
Corydoras Sterbi

As an idea why don't we just keep adding to this list? Just copy and paste into your thread:

GREAT IDEA! I will add your starter to the begining of this post!

It all depends what species of shrimp and how much coverage have you got for them to hide.

Normally if the shrimp can fit into the fish mouth then it might eat it.

Yes I know about the size of mouth rule but I am trying to get a sence of what other are safely getting away with...I will be having Tiger Shrimp with lots of plants and therefore lots of hiding places

LondonDragon said:
It all depends what species of shrimp and how much coverage have you got for them to hide.

Have to agree with that. I had a large shoal of Espei Rasboras with my Cherries and every now and again shrimp were hunted and eaten. If you want to breed your Shrimp in large numbers I would suggest no fish at all

Jase said:
LondonDragon said:

Have to agree with that. I had a large shoal of Espei Rasboras with my Cherries and every now and again shrimp were hunted and eaten. If you want to breed your Shrimp in large numbers I would suggest no fish at all

No I wasn't thinking of large numbers, if so I would set up a shrimp tank, what I was thinking about was putting them in a community tank...I read that they are great for algae control and then I read dont have them with certain fish :crazy:

Jase said:
What I meant to say was my Cherries bred fine with 40+ Rasboras but now the fish are gone the increase in Shrimp numbers seems twice as quick
Like I said if you provide enough cover some will get eaten but then population should be maintained, just don't put shrimp in with Rainbows LOL

LondonDragon said:
Jase said:
What I meant to say was my Cherries bred fine with 40+ Rasboras but now the fish are gone the increase in Shrimp numbers seems twice as quick
Like I said if you provide enough cover some will get eaten but then population should be maintained, just don't put shrimp in with Rainbows LOL

Now thats the info I want.....So Rainbows are a big no no!

Hi all,
I'm hoping "Threadfin Rainbows" will be all right with RCS (I've just ordered some TF Rainbows), I've tried Dwarf Sparkling Gourami (Trichopsis pumila), but they are great shrimplet hunters, and very fast movers when they want to be.
cheers Darrel

list updated keep them coming! What do you think about rams....blue/german although water temp may rule these out anyway

I've got loads of CRS in with two adult and 4 baby german rams. The CRS numbers are increasing.

Also found about 50 in the tank that I tore down at the weekend and that had dwarf chain loaches in it. Think I must have moved a few shrimplets over on wood or plants and they obviously thrived with adequate hiding places.

Also have a few in with a pair of bosemanni rainbowfish too. They seem to be ignored so far but then the fish are well fed.

Ajm200 said:
I've got loads of CRS in with two adult and 4 baby german rams. The CRS numbers are increasing.

Also found about 50 in the tank that I tore down at the weekend and that had dwarf chain loaches in it. Think I must have moved a few shrimplets over on wood or plants and they obviously thrived with adequate hiding places.

Also have a few in with a pair of bosemanni rainbowfish too. They seem to be ignored so far but then the fish are well fed.

Interested to see what happens should the rams breed as they get very territorial

All but one of the rams look like girls. They will go into a 5x2x2 425l tank in a few months with the option of removing the pair to the 90l if trouble breaks out. Hopefully the new tank will be big enough for them. Fingers crossed.

I've kept harlequins, pentazona barb and various micro rasbora (maculatus and brigatae I think) with amano shrimp, without issue. Kept the smaller fish with cherries as well (not sure the harlequins/barbs would resist the shrimplets) :)

Back