• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120cm - Harlequins' Haven

Re: farmer / cider goes together

George Farmer said:
john starkey said:
Hi George, funny really how you like cider and you are mr farmer, :p ,regards john

Well, John, "George" actually means "Farmer" in Greek.

Hey at last something i can give advise about :D

Actually George is Γιώργος in Greek
Farmer is Γεωργός,

Without the emphasis they will sound very similar, but with the emphasis stressing different parts of each word they do sound fairly different in the native tongue.

:)

Cheers
Mark

Did you find any problems with the aquaclay? I find it quite flighty and some pieces even permanently float. As I'm waiting for my filten to arrive a 1000 lph powerhead is on the tank and the top layer of the aquaclay seems to move! Plus the grain size was larger than expected and found my stems wouldn't stay submerged very easily.

Thanks, Mark!

Lisa - I find the Aquaclay ok but I wouldn't choose it personally. Jeremy and I used it to bulk out the Ecocomplete in his 120cm Iwagumi, as we didn't have enough. It was a base layer but has migrated to the top somwhat, over time/maintenance etc. I haven't found any floating pieces though, but I agree that the grain size is a little large and its colour isn't to my taste.

Hey George.
Loving this scape.
Are those Red-moor branches separate or attatched to each other? Just wondering if you sawed off the branches from a larger, whole piece.

60 harlequins...

f_harelquinscm_1e0ed53.jpg

Loving the tank George, but the Harlequins do nothing for me in the pictures I'm afraid. What is the longer species in with them? Just a by-catch rasbora?

eds said:
What is the longer species in with them? Just a by-catch rasbora?
i think its a VMM, a beautiful fish with extrodinary colours.

I love this tank, the choice of plants for this intended low maintenace setup is superb. Everything seems to compliment each other and the tank dimensions. The way the harliquins pace the length of the tank is mesmerising.
Ive seen about four different scapes emerge from this tank over the last year or so and each onehas its own individuality and "farmer style" I love it. Happy days!

[/quote]
I sense a joke there mate :D , what's a VMM? Vietnamese Mountain Minnow???[/quote]
indeed!
no joke though mate, a stunningly beautifuly coloured fish. I woulnt have believed it either before I saw it in the flesh!

Thanks everyone. I'm really happy with this 'scape and it's low-maint too...

eds said:
Loving the tank George, but the Harlequins do nothing for me in the pictures I'm afraid. What is the longer species in with them? Just a by-catch rasbora?

Thanks for the feedback, Ed.

Other fish is Tanichthys micagemmae, a single specimen that accidently got left behind when taking my fish back to my LFS.

Here's some better photos, just for you, Ed! viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1228

They're nice fish but I much prefer the swimming/shoaling pattern of the harlequins. Obviously you don't appreciate this in a photo... ;)

Hi George,wonderfull absolutley wonderfull the rasboras really do look great, i think i might be going down the same route as you, one lge display tank and a smaller opti-white glass aquascapeing tank for competions,i tend to use my large tank as a test tank to see what will grow well in my hard water, that way i have a good idea what does well and what dosent do so well which will save me time and money on the smaller tank when setting up, see you soon john.

George Farmer said:
They're nice fish but I much prefer the swimming/shoaling pattern of the harlequins. Obviously you don't appreciate this in a photo... ;)

Looks like I'll just have to come and see them in the flesh then mate! I know what you mean about the huge difference between pictures and real life. On the web it's all too easy to think of the picture rather than the day-to-day enjoyment of the tank. I'm sure my new Biotoecus for my tank will definitely underwhelm in photos (especially my photos! :lol: ) but in the flesh they are stunning once settled.

WOW looks hot George, this could be the one for ADA ;) very impressed with what I can see so far mate 8)

Thanks John and Ed.

zig said:
WOW looks hot George, this could be the one for ADA ;) very impressed with what I can see so far mate 8)

Thanks mate. It's going to be a tough decision to decide which 'scape I enter this year. Whatever it will be, I doubt it'll beat your Mountainscape v2.0... ;)

Back