• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andyh's - Dragon Beach

bogwood said:
" Toying with a goby tank " Is this another set up on the horizon!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Maybe......spare tank is calling!

bogwood said:
Incidentally Andy, as you know after seeing your gobies i got some Stiphidon Semoni (blue neon).

Im glad to report they are now well active, and coloring up nicely, in addition they spend time on the glass amongst the shoal of Ottos, obviously have a identity problem.

Have yours shown any interest at all in the baby crystal reds?

Glad they have settled in well, they are really entertaining fish to have in a tank. Mine show no interest in the CRS at all.

I may have said it before but those Gobies look awesome, they have a really great characterful 'face' :lol:

andyh said:
Maybe......spare tank is calling!

JOURNAL!

23 Days Old
Things going well & all the plants growing stunningly.

I have added a few floating plants to give the Chocolate Gourami some cover, but they have shown no interest! o_O The glosso is almost carpeted now, i am planning to give a few areas a slight trim to keep plants in the places i want it only. Probably tackle that one night this week. The fissidens on the main branch has responded well to the trim i gave it ten days ago, and is growing back well and thicker.

Just a few pics to show how nicely its maturing.
Complete tank Pic
web.jpg

Close Up
web.jpg

Chocolate Gourami
web.jpg

They never stop shoaling :D :D
web.jpg

I have a slight amount of Spirogyra growing on some of the fissidens and i am putting this down to highlight levels, removing it easily and i am managing to keep it under control. I tend to get it more when the tank needs a water change or i have had the 4 tubes onto much.

Thanks for looking :thumbup:

Andyh

Great stuff Andy, it is quite an amazing transformation in such a short period. :thumbup: there must be something new for you almost everyday,oh and digging the gouramis ;)
cheers

bogwood said:
Maturing nicely. :thumbup:
The use of the two different substrats is not really noticeable, the view is looking very natural. Are your emerald eyes real or just well trained :lol: They keep such a tight formation when being photographed.
Yeah the divide in the substrate has really disappeared now, the glosso is hiding it well.
The emerald eyes are truly world class at shoaling, i have seen no other fish shoal as well as they do. I have had them for about 8months in various tanks and they haven't ever stopped!
tel said:
Great stuff Andy, it is quite an amazing transformation in such a short period. :thumbup: there must be something new for you almost everyday,oh and digging the gouramis ;)
cheers
Yes the growth is stunning, things change all the time albeit it keeps me on my toes i am forever pruning etc .The fissidens is growing really well at the moment. Londondragon suggested give it a good prune and its worked very well indeed. The gouramis are cool 8)

LondonDragon said:
Impressive Andy, shame my glosso is not growing, just keeps heading for the skies and not carpeting :(
Cheers Paulo! :thumbup: So have you not got enough light? Mine is staying fairly low, i am running to 2 x 24w on this 60l.
SteveUK said:
Really looking great Andy :) I love the Staurogyne pokingout on from behind the rock on the left side.
Cheers Steve, thanks for your kind comments. Well spotted, there are few pieces of staurogyne around the tank ;)

Those chocolate gourami look awesome, really bizarre body shape to them with some tiger stripes and a nice colour. Do they 'croak' or am I thinking of another fish?

andyh said:
Cheers Paulo! :thumbup: So have you not got enough light? Mine is staying fairly low, i am running to 2 x 24w on this 60l.
I don't think its light mate, I am running my tank with 6x24W at the moment, think it was the CO2, but the new inline diffuser is really working a treat and I am now able to crank it up without making annoying squeaking noises like the previous one did. Just gave it a nice trim tonight to keep it low and will see how it goes, also increased the CO2 a little.

Vito said:
andy looking really good mate so far, on your inline atomizer/co2 diffuser what working pressure are you using to get a steady rate of bubbles?
Cheers Vito, running it 1.7-1.8, didnt work with my jbl set at 1.5bar, easy to adjust though.

NeilW said:
Those chocolate gourami look awesome, really bizarre body shape to them with some tiger stripes and a nice colour. Do they 'croak' or am I thinking of another fish?
mine dont croak :lol: :lol: isnt that frogs? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

stuworrall said:
hey andy, teh scape is looking really cool again mate. coming on strong!

If youve got that atomiser rigged up on here how are you finding it for cleaning or have you not had to yet?
Thanks Dude, the up atomizer is wicked, not cleaned it yet been running since nov 09, i will let you know once o have done it. Running them on both my tanks and the results speak for themselves. ;)
LondonDragon said:
andyh said:
I don't think its light mate, I am running my tank with 6x24W at the moment, think it was the CO2, but the new inline diffuser is really working a treat and I am now able to crank it up without making annoying squeaking noises like the previous one did. Just gave it a nice trim tonight to keep it low and will see how it goes, also increased the CO2 a little.
yeah 6x24w should do it! :oops: The up atomizers are good mate, silent and the mist they produce is so fine compared to typical diffusers. Good luck with the Glosso, i am lucky its growing like wildfire :crazy:

andyh said:
Good luck with the Glosso, i am lucky its growing like wildfire :crazy:
Cheers, make sure you keep on top of it and don't let it create too many layers, once the layers get to thick the bottom start melting and then it looses grip on the substrate.

It's sparkling gouramis that croak :) I had some a few years back and it freaked me out when they first started doing it! Typically it was at night when I was lying in bed :lol: Once I figured out what it was, it was kinda cool :)

SteveUK said:
It's sparkling gouramis that croak :) I had some a few years back and it freaked me out when they first started doing it! Typically it was at night when I was lying in bed :lol: Once I figured out what it was, it was kinda cool :)

I'm glad I wasn't imagining some kind of alternative alice in wonderland universe where fish croak :lol: With those kinda sounds it would be like living in a rainforest :D

LondonDragon said:
andyh said:
Good luck with the Glosso, i am lucky its growing like wildfire :crazy:
Cheers, make sure you keep on top of it and don't let it create too many layers, once the layers get to thick the bottom start melting and then it looses grip on the substrate.
Excellent Advice, will keep an eye on it. What happens when i cut a piece is it like a stem plant? i.e two shoots appear?

SteveUK said:
You learn something new every day! :geek:

Jase said:
You've had great growth Andy :clap: It looks awesome after such a short time - depresses me slightly, looking at mine :lol:

The substrate transition has gone now that you have the growth, it looks natural now :thumbup:

How often are you doing a WC?
Thanks Jase, i am really pleased the growth it comes from lots of attention and a high energy setup. Its also got some fast growing plants in there which help!
Doing two water changes a week approx 50% per time.
Dosing (everyday)ADA Brighty k, Step1, Bright Special lights and easy carbo (trying to reduce EC at the moment)
Once per week, with water change and prune - ADA Green Gain and Easy life Fosfo.

andyh said:
What happens when i cut a piece is it like a stem plant? i.e two shoots appear?
You hot it, you will get one or two runners coming out of it ;) so the more you trim the more it grows haha fun!

Back