• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp Bedfellows

Emerald eye rasboras
Ember tetras and similar
*Betta's* with caution
Glowlight tetras and similar (adult shrimps, will eat small shrimps)
Dwarf barb species *with caution*
Checkerboard cichlids
Dwarf rasboras
Small minnows
Most plec species and ancistrus sp's.
Hatchet fish
Most small livebearers (platties or bigger can eat shrimps)
Dwarf puffers

These are from experience and list is aimed at dwarf shrimps no larger macro shrimps.

I know this discussion is about keeping shrimp in a community tank but I think it may be a good idea to point out that a lot of the fish listed will eat baby shrimp given half the chance.

hipknoteyes said:
I know this discussion is about keeping shrimp in a community tank but I think it may be a good idea to point out that a lot of the fish listed will eat baby shrimp given half the chance.

On that subject I have been wondering if the Siamese Flying Fox (Epalzeorhynchos kalopterusis) is OK with young shrimp (mine are about 3.5cm). I keep them in my 260l along with Cardinals, Gold Tetras, Glowlight Tetras a Black Molly and some Amanos, which I think should be OK. I have Red Cherries and CRS in the tank which all survive but I am not seeing any young and it occured to me recently that they are being eaten?

LondonDragon said:
It all depends what species of shrimp and how much coverage have you got for them to hide.

Normally if the shrimp can fit into the fish mouth then it might eat it.

:text-+1:

I have got away with adult amanos and angelfish before. It was with very dense planting and the amanos hid the entire time. Only realised they were still there after removing the angelfish. So not recommended.

hipknoteyes said:

:text-+1:

Just noticed dwarf puffers were on 'the list' :? My crystal reds only have to deal with an otto... mind you when it comes to first dibs on the algae wafer he can be a bit of a bully :lol:

Lisa_Perry75 said:
No no no. Amanos are a snack. Puffers are lovely! Just crustaceans are their diet.

Dwarf puffer can sometimes be mixed with shrimps.
I wouldnt adivse it with any other puffers but SOME dwarf puffers are ok with shrimps.

Back