• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

question on water change/top-up and water conditioner

jarthel

i think these are better explain using example :)

-------------
1. I decided to do a 50% water change on a 100L tank. Do I add the recommended dosage of water conditioner for 100L or 50L?

2. how about for water top-up? Like due to evaporation, my water level is 1cm (e.g. equates to 20L) less than normal? How much water conditioner do I need to use?
----------

Thank you :)

Jathel

On the reverse side of the water chlorinator bottle there should be recommend dosages per quantity of water been added.

I use WaterLife Haloex which states the following:
2.5ml treats 112 litres
5.0 ml treats 225 litres
10.0 mls treats 450 litres

So its just a case of working out out how many ml per quantity of water being added - when I do my water change 100 litres out a have a pippette full of dechlorinator and add some as I am refilling the tank. As for topping up due to evaporation I add drops (not measure) whilst refilling.

Hope this helps

Regards
Paul.

I think the question was do you dose for only the water you're replacing, or do you dose for the whole tank?

I always leave my top-up/water change to stand for a day or so anyway, and add a dash of conditioner to it... I think normal practice is to only dose for the "new" water you're adding...

You need to dose to the volume of water you are adding it to. If you are adding it to the tank whilst adding water dose to the tank volume. If you are adding to a holding container before adding to the tank dose to the volume of that.

There is no real point in dosing for top up water <5% of the tank volume as it is such a low level of chlorine addition

Rob

thanks everyone :)

Hi,

I don't like the idea of conditioning the water after you've added it to the tank although I know many people do and appear to have no issues.

Regards, Chris.

HI there,

Don't get too hung up on water conditioners, it's good on a large change, but I tend not to use it and I've bred fish and had awesome plant results in my systems. I'm not saying it doesnt have it's benefits but dont let the manufacturers convince you it's essential for every water change.

Hi all

On the same subject, does this dechlorinator stuff have a shelf life?
My old bottle says that it should be used within 12 months of opening.
Is this correct or just another ploy by the manufacturers to get us to buy new stuff before the bottle is finished?
Just curious :rolleyes:

aslong as its air tight top it shouldnt have a shelf life as it sits shut in a shop for months air tight with the seal so i dont think it will have a shelf life

Thanks BAE
I was thinking along them same lines, but this chemistry mularkey can be a bit strange at times.
In some chemical processes the effectiveness wears off after a certain time, sometimes it doesn't :?
Some are affected by exposure to air, some aren't.
I've seen some strange things happen in chemical processes that just do not make sense.

Back