• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Island Pico

That's really cool Neil, the bowl and rock layout is really nice. How about some hydrocotle or hair grass in the moss?

TBRO said:
That's really cool Neil, the bowl and rock layout is really nice. How about some hydrocotle or hair grass in the moss?

Glad you like it T :thumbup: . Thats a great idea, I was thinking maybe getting some HC in there as I was putting it together but something like hydrocotle or hairgrass would work better as an 'accent' instead of an all-over thing.

What you could do for the underwater part is extend the island on only one side underwater. The side opposite to the filter obviously. Line the sides with small rocks or large gravel and have your soil in the middle of the two borders. That way the soil wont get too disturbed by the water flow.

Mortis said:
What you could do for the underwater part is extend the island on only one side underwater. The side opposite to the filter obviously. Line the sides with small rocks or large gravel and have your soil in the middle of the two borders. That way the soil wont get too disturbed by the water flow.

So another border around the first filled with soil? that could work out... its a bit of a puzzle isn't it? Had a thought of sloping up a clay soil (so that it holds its shape) with moss tied around. Not sure how that would work out though :?

I would also suggest moving the island closer to the filter outlet and having the underwater planted part on the opposite side. That way you could have a larger submerged area without too much flow so you can keep it planted.

Very nice little thread. The mix you use with beer and yougurt is the same mix you use to get moss graffitti, did you find it that way or trial and error?

Garuf said:
Very nice little thread. The mix you use with beer and yougurt is the same mix you use to get moss graffitti, did you find it that way or trial and error?

I used a similar mix, but I added both the yoghurt and beer a bit at a time to get the right consistency. Hopefully I'll get some result from it, been battling the mould recently but I'll give it another go if it fails miserably :thumbup:

I know it's only been a couple of days but how's this looking Neil?

Jase said:
I know it's only been a couple of days but how's this looking Neil?

I'm not sure wether its in a state of growing or dying :lol: Obviously the initial 'green' of the moss has gone as I would imagine it didn't appreciate being chopped up. I'm spraying it a couple of times a day to keep it moist, hopefully it'll be like a phoenix from the ashes :D

Back