• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Third Times A Charm - Ark's Nano

Ark

Sup peeps, starting a new venture with a small planted nano, so why not do a journal :)

Standard Clearseal rimless glass tank - 40 x 20 x 20cm ~ 16ltrs
Fluval U1 internal filter ~ 250 lph.
Over-tank luminaire, 3 x 8w t5 bulbs, only 2 being used, so 16W.
Colombo Flora Base substrate black.
Aqua Essentials branded liquid Co2 / Nutrafin Co2 Kit.
Aqua Essentials Aqua Nourish+ fertilizer.

Hardscape - Redmoor Wood
Plants - Rotala Sp. Green
- Rotala Rotundifolia
- Eleocharis parvula
- Java Moss

Fish - Unsure a group of 6 - 10, something small and colourful. Possibly tetras or rainbow fish.

Thanks for looking, feedback appreciated.

Yo, Got home from college today found a huge parcel for me, the old dear wasn't too pleased when i opened it.. but AE very quick delivery as usual:thumbup:
the substrate, liquids and foreground plants were delivered.
also SteveUK got the crypts today aswell thanks again buddy look really healthy.
i ordered a 5 ltr bag of flora base, i doubt i even used 3 litres got loads left, do you guys think i should make the bed deeper, it is just over an inch in the front and just under 3 inches at the back?

i still can't set the tank up as my heater lighting or filtration hasnt arrived yet :thumbdown:
What should i do with the plants in the mean time? should i leave them in the packaging their in until i can set it up, should be sometime later in the week? or put them in some water?

Just have to wait for the hardscape and equipment to be delivered really, maybe should of done that first :? haha
Will update soon! let me know what you think!

Looks like its gonna be good :) :thumbup: Where did you get the plants from if you don't mind me asking?

hopefully bud! want it to be worth its cost! i bought the plants from Aquaessentials.com, i would highly reccommend them for their quality service, great prices too ;)

That sticky stuff should come off if you rub it with a bit of kitchen towel soaked in nail varnish remover. Might take a couple of goes.

Would comment on the rest but the iPod won't load the pics.

taa for the tip will try it, what should i do witht he plants atm until i can set the tank up?
i dont have any filtration, lighting or hardscape in yet so dont want to fill the tank up?
Atm they are in the packaging i recieved them in?
thanks.

The plants from AE should be OK, as they're probably immersed anyway. Just keep everything sealed so they don't dry out. The Crypts might start to melt unfortunately. Mine are in a tray of water with cling film over, and I noticed a few melting leaves last night :(

ahh i was just thinking about the crypts melting, im guessing if i put them in a tray of water, the leaves will melt because of different water parameters? but then when i put them in the tank, the leaves crypts will probably melt again wont they? because of more different water parameters?
Also is it worth trimming the stems off of the marsilea crenata, as it is in its emmersed form and putting them in some water so it starts to grow in its submerged form?

This sounds great, looking forward to seeing this one develop.....as for fish I have just got hold of some phoenix rasbora, they're perfect for a small tank, look great schooling and are nice and active! :thumbup:

Finally the filter has arrived but not the light heater or hardscape! so i filled the tank up as i could see the crypts were starting to dry out. just dropped th eplants in floating about atm. will post pics when water has cleared a bit more.

florabase is excellent! didnt cloud the water as much as normal gravel or akadama i previously used, but there is bubbles in between the substrate (i think this is anerobic respiration?)

is it worth dosing any ferts or co2 yet so help the plants adjust or anything as theyre still in transition and cant settle in yet?

thanks.

Back