• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim 2180 leaks when I move it

This big boy comes with castors - you're supposed to tilt it slightly then roll it along. As soon as I tilt it a fraction it leaks badly from between the body and the powerhead. I tried picking the whole thing up today instead - and it did the same thing (this time all down my trousaers :shifty: ). Apart from a poorly seated or damaged gasket, any other ideas why this might be happening?

paul.in.kendal said:
This big boy comes with castors - you're supposed to tilt it slightly then roll it along. As soon as I tilt it a fraction it leaks badly from between the body and the powerhead. I tried picking the whole thing up today instead - and it did the same thing (this time all down my trousaers :shifty: ). Apart from a poorly seated or damaged gasket, any other ideas why this might be happening?

have you checked if the seal has worn.

best to look at all possibilities, even though it would be pretty shocking for something to have worn down that quickly, its something i would check.

good luck.

paul.in.kendal said:

Paul
damaged seal between filter casing and powerhead,

2080 parts list attached - the only difference between an 2080 & 2180 is the thermo unit at the bottom of the filter unit.

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/catalo ... -parts.asp

Following the previous reply I would contact Ehiem or where you bought it from.

Paul.

Thanks for the quick replies. I need to check that seal carefully (in a day or so, once the missus hs got over the spillage!), and get back to the vendor in need. Thanks again.

Paul, check for grit on the seal and the canister, I found a lot of fine dust from the eheim filter medium after the first couple of clean outs from new.It doesnt take much to break the seal as the gasket is only thin.
Hope you find the problem, let us know when you find the solution,

Regards

John

I have a similar problem on a 2128, as soon as i turn it off it starts to leak at the seal. I've not tries this as i just got a new filter but rubbing vasaline around the seal before you put it back together is supposed to help.

I had a leaking problem with x 2028. Water was accumulating inside the head when running and when I tilted it the water leaked out. Turned out to be an issue with the hose connectors. Eheim replaced them FOC, so it maybe worth asking them if there are any issues with the 2180.

Now we're talking! That sounds exactly like what is happening with mine. I'll check I've installed the hose connector properly, and check with Eheim too. If you have a UK contact for Eheim, I'd be grateful. Thanks Mark!

Best way to handle it is to contact Eheim. I took mine into retailer I purchased from and they told me it was old and about time to replace it :lol: There isn't much to go wrong with them really. Its just about having O Rings seated and making sure they are well Vaselined.

Importer contact details:
John Allan Aquariums Ltd.
Mr. Allan Riley
Eastern Way Industrial Estate
Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk IP32 7AB

Phone: 01284-755051
Fax: 01284-750960

This is an email address I have from the service department at Eheim
Cornelia.Veith@eheim.de

I would suggest you email Eheim noting the model and problem you are experiencing. They were most helpful and highlighted the issue, sent me the replacement connector FOC. Of course that may not be your problem but I feel sure they will sort it.

Allen Riley at John Allen Aquariums is also most helpful.

It could be a problem with one of the O Rings inside the head. If you are handy, its not difficult to strip down and check it, but talk it through first with John Allen and make sure you have a replacement O Ring kit. With the 2028 there is only one way to reassemble it. If you do it the wrong way you can damage it.

Thanks Mark, most helpful. I've had a reply back from Eheim's German service department (from Cornelia, in fact). She also advised I contact John Allan Aquariums direct, so I'm doing that. I'll post the outcome in due course. Thanks again.

paul.in.kendal said:
Thanks Mark, most helpful. I've had a reply back from Eheim's German service department (from Cornelia, in fact). She also advised I contact John Allan Aquariums direct, so I'm doing that. I'll post the outcome in due course. Thanks again.

You're welcome. Please do post the outcome. I will be interested as I intend to buy a 2180 myself very soon.

No reply from John Allan Aquariums yet, which is disappointing. Checked the filter this morning, only to discover it's been quietly leaking into the cabinet - the water has got under the veneer surface and blown some of the chipboard, which is really depressing. Thankfully it hasn't affected any of the panels that are visible when the doors are shut, but even so...

I checked the seals and vaselined them - hoping this'll stop the leaking when in situ at least.

Awaiting a response from Mr Riley with interest...

Just a quick update. Vaselining the seals (and making sure they're properly seated) seems to do the trick. I have to put it down to my complete lack of experience, I suppose...

paul.in.kendal said:
No reply from John Allan Aquariums yet, which is disappointing. Checked the filter this morning, only to discover it's been quietly leaking into the cabinet - the water has got under the veneer surface and blown some of the chipboard, which is really depressing. Thankfully it hasn't affected any of the panels that are visible when the doors are shut, but even so...

I checked the seals and vaselined them - hoping this'll stop the leaking when in situ at least.

Awaiting a response from Mr Riley with interest...

Paul

Try these peolpe for your seals:
http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/bigpic ... s_2080.htm
email address @ the bottom of the parts list.
contact phone: http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/about-us.asp
Regards
Paul.

More issues with this filter. I've had further big leakages last weekend, and a replacement head and hose connectors delivered (under warranty). See 'Punishment of Luxury' journal for more. I'm now convinced the problem has been the hose connector all along. I do hope this issue is now resolved for good...

Have a look at the primer system,That why mine was leaking I took it apart and put a lot of Vaseline around all the seals in the primer and its not leaked since.

Back