• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dymax Nano LED light

bigmatt

Hello all,
Just found this from good ol' Aquarium HK
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DYMAX-Mini-Aquari ... 2556facf4c
With a stated output of 44.8w this seems like a hell of a lot of light for the money. Stated output is 6500K so should, in theory, be good for plant growth. I know PFK ran an article on reef LEDs looking at PAR with some favourable outcome. I was going to order one for a 12l nano (8" deep). There seems little documented experience on the forum re. LEDs for planted tanks (search for LED returned 0 results). Does anyone have any thoughts?
Cheers
Matt

Thanks Luis - good to know that LEDs work for shrubbery!
I was hoping to grow Crypt. Nevelli, Microsorum "Windelov", Anubia Nana and mosses under it - all chosen for their low-light properties, but with higherlighting i'm tempted to give HC a go - do you think it would manage under that lighting (knocking on for 3 wpLITRE, 14WPUSG!!!!!) without CO2 or am i asking for trouble having all that light but no gas? I'll be dosing with TPN+ and liquid carbon to start with, but hope to progress to a nano CO2 set for this setup (maybe one of these....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
Know it's only a 95g cylinder but on a tank of this size that should last a while, shouldn't it?
Cheers
Matt

bigmatt said:
Thanks Luis - good to know that LEDs work for shrubbery!
I was hoping to grow Crypt. Nevelli, Microsorum "Windelov", Anubia Nana and mosses under it - all chosen for their low-light properties, but with higherlighting i'm tempted to give HC a go - do you think it would manage under that lighting (knocking on for 3 wpLITRE, 14WPUSG!!!!!) without CO2 or am i asking for trouble having all that light but no gas? I'll be dosing with TPN+ and liquid carbon to start with, but hope to progress to a nano CO2 set for this setup (maybe one of these....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
Know it's only a 95g cylinder but on a tank of this size that should last a while, shouldn't it?
Cheers
Matt

I would say that you need CO2, although liquid carbon would substitute it, but you need stable CO2 to avoid algae issues.

bigmatt said:
(search for LED returned 0 results).

This is because the search needs four characters as a minimum.
Try searching via google instead using the following phrase to limit the results to UKAPS:

site:ukaps.org/forum led

Please feedback when you get the light as I might get one too :)

@ Bigmatt, for that price you can pay a bit more and get a jbl bottle or FE, the money would be on the regulator.

50 grams would not last you long enough..

Buy something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Proflora-Aquarium ... 535wt_1163

Then a second hand JBL 500 grams bottle would cost you £20, and to fill you pay about £20 to fill up.

Otherwise look for fire extinguishers setups, they will work out much cheaper, much much cheaper..

ghostsword said:
I just bought one.. :)

When we are both next on a meetup would you mind bringing this along so that I can check it out?
(would be great to be able to see the colour rendition of the LED's)

No issue dude.. when we see eachother next I will bring it.

It will be used on a 40cm cube, with just anubias and java fern, will try to replicate mother java fern that George has done a while ago.

No heating, and just the lamp and a sponge filter, pumped CO2 and EI. :)

ghostsword said:
@ Bigmatt, for that price you can pay a bit more and get a jbl bottle or FE, the money would be on the regulator.

I completely agree! The only problem being that I don't have any cabinet space to fit an FE in and my wife will give me my marching orders if i stick one in the corner of the room! :D

I'll be buying one of them there LED lights on payday - can you let me know when yours arrives and what you think of it?
I'll be really intersted to see if you get rippling with these as that should add a lot of interest to the aquarium
CHeers!
Matt

bigmatt said:
I completely agree! The only problem being that I don't have any cabinet space to fit an FE in and my wife will give me my marching orders if i stick one in the corner of the room! :D

I'll be buying one of them there LED lights on payday - can you let me know when yours arrives and what you think of it?
I'll be really intersted to see if you get rippling with these as that should add a lot of interest to the aquarium
CHeers!
Matt

If no space for a FE, then your money would be better spent on easycarbo, those mini bottles will not last at all.

Get a dosing pump (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trks ... osing+pump), attach the pipe to a 1L bottle of easy carbo and dose as needed.. :)

There are small FE's as well you know? :) http://www.safelincs.co.uk/Silver-1kg-C ... /?fdb=true

Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but i bought one of these a while back.
It went in the bin, nearly burnt the house down. LED's got hot plastic melted.
No way 40+ watts of light nearer 4
Was about half as bright as the 11W arcpod it was supposed to replace.

Bad news! Sorry you've already ordered one Luis. I'll still be really interested to know how you get on with it. I'm keeping everything crossed that Milla just got a bad one! Having said that i was looking at an LED desk lamp in B&Q earlier and their LEDs only had an output of 0.06w each. I'm no electircal engineer but there's a big difference between 0.06 and 1.6w!
I'm still on the lookout for a good lamp for a nano with the previous plants (Anubia, Java Fern 'Windelov'., crypt and maybe now a dwarf hairgrass carpet) that won't break the bank. Am i best with a £10 eBay special?!?!?!?
Cheers folks - sorry for your lost lamp Milla!
Matt

Thanks Bigmatt. I will just have to see what happens.

I got other leds, and they run cool, the AQUAFX 500, so hopefully this will be ok..

If the unit heats even just for a bit, then I will have to send it back.. :) If the light is not bright enough, as I will be expecting 45W then I will send it back..

Thanks,
Luis

ANy news on the light? I've seen them at my LFS now and they look pretty nifty - but i wouldn't want to use one on a tank bigger than about 10l. They had them set up for their fighters, inc. one with an anubia but i couldn't really work out if they were bright enough to grow under
Cheers
MAtt

bigmatt said:
ANy news on the light? I've seen them at my LFS now and they look pretty nifty - but i wouldn't want to use one on a tank bigger than about 10l. They had them set up for their fighters, inc. one with an anubia but i couldn't really work out if they were bright enough to grow under
Cheers
MAtt

Hi, I got it working fine, and it does not overheat, the light is very good.

As I got them on my 20m cube, it just fills the tank with light, but to get the plants with as much light as possible I got two running.

For mosses and anubias one light seems good enough.

Back