• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best way to plant HC Cuba? and a few other questions

duddy1985

Seedling
Hi all,

Im pretty new to planting tanks and just bought some HC cuba for my foreground, im wondering what the best way is to plant it? its come all grouped together should i split it up into just a few stems and plant it, or plant it as it came? I have actually planted it as it came. 2 days ago and its still alive! Im quite shocked.

I also got some cuttings of a few plants, will they root if i just stick them in my substrate? Would it affect the plants if i keep on moving them about because im not happy with the way my tank looks at the moment, or should i leave the plants to settle in?

Sorry for all the questions

Thanks for any info you can give me.

duddy1985 said:
Hi all,

Im pretty new to planting tanks and just bought some HC cuba for my foreground, im wondering what the best way is to plant it? its come all grouped together should i split it up into just a few stems and plant it, or plant it as it came? I have actually planted it as it came. 2 days ago and its still alive! Im quite shocked.

I also got some cuttings of a few plants, will they root if i just stick them in my substrate? Would it affect the plants if i keep on moving them about because im not happy with the way my tank looks at the moment, or should i leave the plants to settle in?

Sorry for all the questions

Thanks for any info you can give me.

The way that I planted was - remove the plant from the pot, cut 2/3rd of the rock wool cube away leaving approx. 1/3rd or 10mm of the wool underneath the plant, I then cut the plant into four / six cubes and then planted the whole item into the substrate leaving approx. 10 - 15mm between each of the cubes exactly the same way that Tropica show on their video "A guide to planting aquatic plants" as for your root plants just stick them into the substrate - using a pair of tweezer make live easier when it come to planting.

http://www.tropica.com/go.asp?article=883

Regards
paul.

Hi Duddy, I planted HC just as Paul describes above, but it didn't grow for me. An alternative highly laborious method is to divide it up into tiny plantlets (individual pairs of rooted leaves), and plant them a cm or so apart. I used this approach with the Glosso I replaced my HC with, and it seems to have taken much more readily.

i bet that took you a long time! iv had mine in for a week and seems to be doing ok. only a few slightly brown leaves but nothing else. Got new Daylights lamps and some ferts, still waiting on parts for my co2.

Thanks.

Individual planting is usually best but this can depend on your (undefined) substrate.

Back