• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My venture into my new 760 ltr planted tank .

Re: My venture into my new 760 ltr aquariam.

Well its full of water. I have had the main system pump running. Its turning over about 7000 to 7500 ltrs an hour . The Sump has no problem with that sort of flow rate . The spay bar seems to be ok. Just ripples the surface without breaking it.The Stand pipes are having no problems either apart from they are noisy at the moment. A bit if fine tuning will sort that. I also ran up the water discharge pump. That again runs fine .
I have been playing with the auto water change system this afternoon. It now works perfectly and you just adjust the time on the timer for the amount of water you wish to change. Just need to sort out how many ltrs are pumped out per minute.
The Relays and wiring is just "jury rigged on the floor at the moment.
Next will be to get the Co2 system working.
So far no silly leaks to sort.
I need to make my new weir comb's next but I need to get the material for that.
Pictures to come.

Simon

Impressive plumbing :) this is truly a great project, looking forward to seeing this all up and running :)
Automatic water changes is a dream ;)

Water going in this morning.
its only cold at the moment. No point in heating water I am going to dispose of

DSCF0044Medium-2.jpg

Water return into the Clear spray bar. Cut the slot with a router. Anti syphon fitted on it as well.
I have the new weir covers to make yet.

DSCF0047Medium-1.jpg

Plenty of water going down there.I have the noise issue to sort but that can wait.

DSCF0048Medium.jpg

Also bought a sheet of 3mm Upvc to paint blue for the background to go behind the tank. Just need to think of a way of keeping it there .

Simon

The more I watch this the more fascinating I'm becoming. A really really great build. More photos and more tech specs please! Are you meeting the 10x rough rule? I can imagine it being hard in such a large tank?

I would think that my system will hold around 750 lts of water. I reckon I am turning over 7000 to 7500 ltrs of water an hour so I would say yes to the 10x. It will be very close anyway.
My main problem I think will be keeping the Co2 up. I need to work on not introducing to much air in the filter system. By the nature of the stand pipes there will be air added to the system. In some ways this is good as its in the correct place for the filter media.The Co2 is introduced in the pump chamber of the sump so its at the correct end. The water coming from the media will be low in O2 I would have thought.
Shall have to wait and see in that one Anything can happen yet.
Going to order my light tomorrow. Going to go for one of the 6ft unites with 4x80w T5 tubes. If this proves not to be enough then I have the tank width to fit a second one. From what I have read so far I am sure one is going to do it.
I need to get an enclosure to fit my 3 relays into that control the water top up and water change.
Also my water change pump that is fitted in the main tank needs a box building to keep the substrate away from it and also a pre filter on it. The pump stands about 5" high and I hope the substrate will be a touch higher than that at the back of the tank so it will not be seen but will be able to maintain it if necessary. I have used a 3500ltr per hour mag drive pond pump for this purpose.
Will have pictures of all these bits tomorrow..

Simon.

I'd recommend emailing Tom Barr and asking what he'd prescribe for such a big tank, i'd think you'd be looking at 2 reactors or something like a high pressure mazi (spell check) diffuser or needlewheel diffuser. A sump is perfect for such a big tank but I don't know how you'll do.
If you run into issues you can always throw more pumps in there, my perogative would be to go for higher turnover, closer to 20x but that's personal preference. I'll admit I don't know much about sumps so I don't know how high turnover would affect them. You could have a look at Amanos big tanks, I seem to think they're just diffusers in the sump though.

This sounds a fantastic venture! Just wish I could see the pics, the firewall on board the ship (currently on a job in the North Sea) won't download the pictures! :mad:

Still, It'll give me something to read (again!) when I get home! :lol:

Thanks for keeping us all so well informed on how its all going. I bet there's a lot of readers who are thinking, Hmmm..... Darling.......come and look at this. How would you feel about..... :D

Tesco

Garuf said:
I'd recommend emailing Tom Barr and asking what he'd prescribe for such a big tank, i'd think you'd be looking at 2 reactors or something like a high pressure mazi (spell check) diffuser or needlewheel diffuser. A sump is perfect for such a big tank but I don't know how you'll do.
If you run into issues you can always throw more pumps in there, my perogative would be to go for higher turnover, closer to 20x but that's personal preference. I'll admit I don't know much about sumps so I don't know how high turnover would affect them. You could have a look at Amanos big tanks, I seem to think they're just diffusers in the sump though.

I have two reactors fitted. They both run from the same 1260 pump. This pump only circulates water through the reactors.
I can run more water through the sump but it gets a bit wild then. If I need more flow/ circulation in the tank I will fit a couple of pumps of some sort in there.
Thinking about it I could run the output of the reactors into the main return pipe. The main return pipe work is 40mm so its capable of a lot more flow.
Just don't no that the sump and weirs will like another 2000 ltrs an hour going through it.
Can always try it.
Mr T said:
This sounds a fantastic venture! Just wish I could see the pics, the firewall on board the ship (currently on a job in the North Sea) won't download the pictures! :mad:

Still, It'll give me something to read (again!) when I get home! :lol:

Thanks for keeping us all so well informed on how its all going. I bet there's a lot of readers who are thinking, Hmmm..... Darling.......come and look at this. How would you feel about..... :D

Tesco

Thanks for the kind comments. Its a shame you can't see the pictures. It means nothing with out them.

Simon

Hi Simon

I've just read through the journal from the start - fantastic stuff :D As someone who appreciates thought and planning in a project, along with tidiness in execution this is right up my street and will certainly make me rethink the upcoming rebuild of my discus tank :D

Where did you get the camazzi needle valves - I found their own website , but no apparent online stockists.

Cheers and good luck with it - I look forward to the updates.

Tony

Tonser said:
Hi Simon

I've just read through the journal from the start - fantastic stuff :D As someone who appreciates thought and planning in a project, along with tidiness in execution this is right up my street and will certainly make me rethink the upcoming rebuild of my discus tank :D

Where did you get the camazzi needle valves - I found their own website , but no apparent online stockists.

Cheers and good luck with it - I look forward to the updates.

Tony

Email these people . If you get the part number from the Camazzi site that helps.
They were about £7 each. You can get bulkhead mounted ones like I got. Just pay attention to the part numbers :oops:

sales@citybearings.co.uk

Simon

Come then chaps.
How many plants am I going to need when I first plant this up.
Now remember I have no plant keeping knowledge at all so I will be relying on a lot of help from you.
What do you think I should start with. I appreciate I need to get the quantity of plant in the tank to start with and perhaps will need to get rid of some of them at a later date.
So how about a few suggestions of where to start.

Simon

Always Broke said:
Come then chaps.
Now remember I have no plant keeping knowledge at all so I will be relying on a lot of help from you.
What do you think I should start with. I appreciate I need to get the quantity of plant in the tank to start with and perhaps will need to get rid of some of them at a later date.

Simon
Hi,
The focus in this tank should be to build bacterial colonies in the sediment as quickly as possible. There is a symbiotic relationship between sediment bacteria and plants, the interface of which is the roots. With this premise in mind one should worry much less about aquascape, but instead concentrate on having a good quantity of plants with roots. Since it's a big tank anyway and since large Echinodorus, Aponogeton and Cryptocoryne typically are a nice fit for large tanks then these are perfect choices as they tend to develop massive root structures. The Tropica catalogue is replete with popular Echinodorous, however you might find a couple of unusual ones such as E. kleiner bar, E. red special, E. horemanii and even E. grisebachii at Aquarium Gardening 20 or so specimens of these would do well in the middle to background along the aft section.

There are also some crypts not generally seen such as C. Green Gecko, C. cordata Rosanervis, C. lucens, C. blassii and C. aponogetifolia, however, any of the standard crypts such as C. wendetii (brown or green) or C. balansae will do. Aponogeton madagascarensis is a lovely plant as are cousins A. crispus and A. ulvaceus.

Having tended to the strong rooted plants, the next, (or perhaps an equal) priority is to add many fast growing stem plants. Any plant named Hygrophila will do the trick nicely, especially the oft pink tinged H. polysperma "Rosanervis" is an extremely hardy and fast growing plant. These can all fill the middle. 100 or so stems (they are usually sold in bunches of 5 stems). Heteranthera zosterifolia aka "star grass" is so hardy it quickly becomes a nuisance. There are also some fast growing easy care Ludwigias such as L repens or L.mullertii. 50 stems of any of these would look nice. Any of the Bacopas would do as well B. coroliana is a popular favourite. Rotala indica is also an excellent choice.

I hesitate to suggest foreground plants since these are always problematic for beginners, primarily due to CO2 issues, so it's often a waste of money until CO2/flow/distribution are excellent. You might try a combination of Hydrocotyle, Cyperus helferi, Echinodorus latifolius Echinodorus quadricostatus, and Lilaeopsis nova-zelandae, say, 20 pots apiece.

Now this tank could easily swallow twice the number I've given, so it's a matter of cost that I haven't suggest over the top numbers. Planting won't be a breeze either unless you've plenty of helpers on hand.

Cheers,

Many many thanks for the detailed reply.
I will start looking up the plants you have suggested.
Perhaps I can then draw a plan of where they would be placed to ensure I am heading down the correct road.
I looks like I am going to need to save up a few pounds for this lot.

Thanks Simon

I would love to see more pictures, especially full tank shots if possible :D

Always Broke said:
Come then chaps.

Simon

I would suggest getting some real fast growing stems, cheap ones and cram here full of them while planting the plants you wish to keep. Then after a few weeks start takeing out the cheap stems and replace with the one you want long term, Should help keep the algaue at bay dueing its first few months. I say months because a tank of such size is going to take a while to mature. Please correct me ukaps if incorect.
This is an amazing journal and thanks for shareing your adventure with us all.

So what would be really cheap fast growing stems.

Simon

Hygropholia polysperma.

After watching the circulation in the tank ( The wife thinks I have lost the plot) I have decided the slot in the tube is to big for the amount of flow.
I will make some temporary clip on covers that I can play with to get it correct.

Looking up lots of plants. Just as lost as I was before I started.

simon

looking good :thumbup:

if this was mine i would have the foreground and midground mainly consisting of crypts. check plantedbox or TGM for the names. on planted box it tells you what kind of size they grow too.

it also depends on how much maintanance you want to do. with a tank this size i wouldnt want to be trimming stems that often as it will soon be hard to keep on top of.

there is also the option of an all moss tank with lots of wood. like in the amano gallery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs6X26ho9VA at 14 seconds :D

there is lots more videos with it on also.

Back