• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Thanks to George Farmer and you bunch

Spanerman

After a horrible episode yesterday night with my heater sticking on and killing all my fish i was ready to pack up fish keeping all together and sell the lot :(

But about an hour ago i picked up Aprils PFK mag and turned to George's aqua skaping section and felt truly inspirred :)

Soo it looks like im off out to get some wood and some play sand to do my very own central American biotope :D

But i do have a few little questions :lol:

Having a low(ish) volume of plants Just a Riccia carpet and maybe some moss on the wood, am i asking for problems with algae?

I have 2 20w t8's over 125l and i am dosing the AE trio daily so that liquid carbon rather than gaseous

And how easy is it to clean the sand as a substrate?

Sam

Sand is really easy, just run your fingers through it to agitate it then hoover it with a water change. It has a tendency to darken when under super highlight.
I've known and used liquid carbon to melt riccia because I've always found it a pest but that's personal experience, Paulo doses and has no issues at all but he also injects co2.

For further inspiration if you watch the Caves episode of Planet Earth they have a section where they dive and there's sword tails clearly visable as well as what to me look like a endler type fish.
With your lighting I could be wrong, but you are probably better suited to mosses than riccia which has a reputation as light hungry in it's submerged state.

I forgot to say, Sorry on your loss, My heater got stuck on about 9 months ago and killed everything even the plants it was too hot to put my hand in the tank for long.

Thanks,il look into the mosses, i have grown riccia before (long time) with no ferts and medium light.

But it was realy slow :(

Yeah was horrific to wake up to a lifeless tank, sword tails would be a nice option to have in there :D

Now thats what i call inspiration :D

Thanks very much

Every time I watch that I want to set up a tank with Mollies but all the ones in the hobby here are from brackish populations and tend not to do anywhere near as well as a "true" freshwater strain would.
I'd strongly suggest joining the uk livebearers club (it's not call that but it's real name for the life of me I can't remember). They hold auctions regularly and might be able to help you get Mexican f1 or even wild fish.

Thanks Garuf, il look into that, I would love a wild caught fish :)

Can anyone suggest any fish suitable for this biotope apart from mollies/swords

Hi Sam and sorry for your losses.

We tend to take our equipment for granted and this is a wake up call for many that may have not already experienced such sadness.

All the best with your project and it's very rewarding to note that I may have helped provide a source of inspiration. It's worth noting that my feature was not biotope accurate, but more CA-themed layout.

If you're interested in keeping the fish in the PFK feature (P. salvatoris), then please let me know. I am breeding them and have some to give away to a good home. They're first generation bred from wild-caught stock (F1).

Back