• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Opinions please

mdhardy01

Hi all

A question about flow

I have a 5 foot by 2 foot by 30 inch deep tank with 2 eheim 2075 filters, both have the eheim directional flow outlets all are on the back wall just below surface firing forward towards the front. I am thinking of adding a korlia or two but not sure what size? I think that with media in the filters this drops output from 1250 to about 1000lph each meaning that at the moment I'm getting about 2000lph turnover which is about a 3rd of what is idealy required. However this is a planted discus tank so I don't really want the fish stuck to the glass!

So my question is what size koralia would I need? Would I be better with 1 big one or 2 smaller ones? Also I want them to be discrete how big are they?

Many thanks in advance

Matt

i think 2 korila 2's would be fine, or a 2 and a 1. it depends on where you aim them...i think its best to have the flow going all on one direction. i dont know what the 'eheim directional flow outlets' are? (spraybars) if they are then i would but the korilas in the corners facing the front aiding the filter flow depending on hardscape placement (there is no point putting a korila right behind a big gumi main stone :lol: :lol:) i have a korial 1 in a 35cm :wideyed: :wideyed: along with a 120L/H HOB filter so giving me about 1600L/H in a 15 litre tank which is a turn over of 106X :wideyed: i know this sounds alot but i only have some amanos in there and they handle it fine. and the flow that comes out of it isnt a vicious current, its very well designed so spreads it out so i dont think it would stick discus to the side of the tank in a 700L.
as for size my korila 1 sticks out about 4.5 inches from the magnet on the inside to the tip of it and its about 2.5 inches tall. :D
hope this helps. :D

Was looking at the new koralia evo's so what would the koralia 1and 2's
be the equivalant to in the evo's ?
Also the eheim adjustable outlets are part of their accessories
they have a ball joint so can be aimed in any direction and have
a wide jet flow attachment
matt

Hi,

At a guess from your description of the filter outlets I think there commonly refered to as lilly pipes, many people prefer these.

I reckon though that your probably losing more flow than you think from the filter ratings. Its easy to check with a litre jug and a stopwatch. Ususlly the truer figure would be nearer a 50% loss.

I do agree that Koralias / all powerheads are ugly and obtrusive but the flow is absolutly necessary and they do offer the best solution. Fortunatly after a while you do get used to them being there and they can be removed when you want to show your tank off i.e. when taking photos or when friends or family visit.

Regards, Chris.

I have 4 54watt t5s
2 on for 6 hours
all 4 on for 1 hour
presurised co2 with sera external diffuser 4bps
15 ml tpn daily
planting is mostly crypts and vallis I do have some riccia ,glosso, and hc Cuba
all doing well glosso and hc spreding nicely
matt

Would be interested in a few more opinions if pos?
Mr farmer I would be especially interested in what you think
many thanks for eveyones input so far
matt

Back