• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tank Mat with a Aquariums ltd braceless

Garuf

Hello, just a quick question, does anyone know if a tank mat is needed for the optiwhite braceless'? I was about to walk into town and buy one but on reading the TGM Journals I notice none of them appear to have mats. In particular Georges tank there which is nearly the same size.
Any ideas?

Garuf said:
Hello, just a quick question, does anyone know if a tank mat is needed for the optiwhite braceless'? I was about to walk into town and buy one but on reading the TGM Journals I notice none of them appear to have mats. In particular Georges tank there which is nearly the same size.
Any ideas?
AQ ltd advised me to buy one to keep the warranty. I bought a yoga matt from tesco as there were no sleeping matts left in blacks!!

Thank you! I'll go see what millets have to offer. Fool me for not keeping the one I used for my nano's.

Garuf,

Your question may have been overtaken by events, but I asked Aquariums Ltd directly about this, as I have just taken delivery of my lovely new 80 x 45 x 45 OptiWhite, and they said it was related to the size of the tank (and presumably, therefrore, to its weight). A tank like mine does not need a mat, but you would need to investigate where the cut-off point exists...

Mawgan said:
Garuf,

Your question may have been overtaken by events, but I asked Aquariums Ltd directly about this, as I have just taken delivery of my lovely new 80 x 45 x 45 OptiWhite, and they said it was related to the size of the tank (and presumably, therefrore, to its weight). A tank like mine does not need a mat, but you would need to investigate where the cut-off point exists...
thats odd as they said that my 90x45x45 did need one? didnt think there'd be a huge difference in weight between 10cm widths

Depends, a very rough way of working it out is that every 1l weighs 1kg. Georges Tank my size at TGM didn't use a mat but I plan on getting one just to be safe, I don't fancy shelling out the £9 asking price in Millets though!

Im with you on the safety front Garuf.

The question I would ask myself is:

is £9 worth the piece of mind (ie sleep well at night) and will it reduce the risk of a tank failure (now that would cost more than £9)?

IMO. But I am a belt and braces kind of person.

Regards

Dave

It's true enough, But I remember paying £4 for my last sleeping mat and that wasn't bright blue.
It's slightly confusing that there's no where on the website or even on here suggesting what tanks need what, you'd think they'd want to avoid the stress of having someone bringing a failed tank back.

Now bright blue that would look good!!!!!! :lol:

Seriously though I have never understood why manufacturers supply you a tank and stand, deliver it, position it in your house where you want it but dont supply the cheapest bit... the bit that is recommended to be place between the stand and the tank. Especially on larger tanks.

I personally use this stuff:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Clearseal-Fishtan ... 7004432401

Clearseal Basemat. Also available in P@H etc. For your tank on ebay it would cost £13 delivered (2 pieces) but it is nice and thin (approx 5-6mm before compressed), hardly noticeable once aquarium is on top and best of all its very dark grey, not bright blue! :lol:

Dave

Back