• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Macro lens or macro filters ?

Re: marco lens ? or macro filters ?

macro lens all the time.

the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM is stunning. The L series version, is just not feasible if your using flash. the only addition is IS i believe.

I use the canon MP-E 65mm f2.8 but it's £1000 and needs additional lights which will set you back another £400

I've also got the sigma 70-300 macro, and for £150 it's a little gem. with careful use, you can get some really great images

Re: marco lens ? or macro filters ?

What's your budget?

Prime (fixed) lenses generally have better optics and overall IQ than zoom, but offer less flexibility. With modern zooms it's a trade-off worth considering as today's zooms can be excellent. Most aren't true macro, but are named so as they offer close-up focusing distance.

As Mark suggests, a macro lens is far superior to a filter added to another lens.

Tamron (90mm), Sigma (105mm) and Tokina (100mm) all do excellent macro lenses if Canon are out of your price range. Some reviews rate some of these higher that the Canons.

Canon also do a 50mm f/2 macro, and 60mm f/2.8 macro.

Shop around for best prices and consider a used piece if budget is limited.

get the proper lens either canon 100mm macro or Tamron 90mm macro. Those macro filter cannot give you the quality than lens have.

Back