• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Should I rinse aquabasis?

Ajm200

Sorry if this has been answered before. In the past I've rinsed all substrates before adding to the tank. LFS said not to wash aquabasis as I'm topping it with Manado.

What would you do?

So is that one vote for and one against?
Wasn't too sure what to do. Heard some odd advice from this person to others in the past.

I have washed this stuff before but as It is supposed to be a nutrient substrate I did wonder
if I'd be washing the good stuff down the drain but also don't want a muddy mess that will cloud the water if disturbed.

Had wanted Eco-complete to avoid rinsing but have been waiting too long for the delivery

you certainly dont wash aquabasis. you'll end up with sludge if you do and it's not nice to work with.

Always buy more than stated as it depletes quite quickly.

Thanks. I'll just tip it in then. Will save lots of time and water :)

dont wash it, its a powdery crumb so washing it will just be wasting your money as it will just all go down you plug hole. and your capping it so it dosent matter.

I'm going to have my son's catfish in the tank so will still cap it as I've seen the muck that comes off it. If I wasn't having bottom dwellers in the tank I might have considered leaving it as is.

Got 20l of aquabasis in a 525l tank. Now need to decide how much Manado to use. Have 110l of it in the car boot. Got to have extra depth at the back of the tank so that I can reach to plant into it as I can't reach the back or bottom.

Ok. Got the manado now though and 250 quid over budget so far so DH isn't going to be very understanding when I ask to swap the manado out for something more costly. He likes the fish and thinks the plants are pretty but costly. Left to him and my 3yr old this tank would have plastic plants, divers, cars, no fishing signs and purple gravel.. :(

Gotta redo the 90l as the flow is really poor with the over sized driftwood in the middle of the tank and a possibly dodgy u3 filter that stops for no reason. Have bba and GSA appearing on rhs of the tank (where the u3 is). If I can get the budget I'll consider aqua basis instead of the inert gravel I have now when redo the tank.

I have and it does worry me but my budget won't stretch to aquabasis for a 500l tank. Had much better alternatives in mind but I need so much substrate that I have not been able to source enough flourite or Eco-complete within budget or reasonable timescales. I have waited over two months for 240lb of ec and was told today it could take another month with no guarantees of delivery. Flourite was too much with delivery Inc so I had no choice but to trawl my local MA stores buying up their big bags of manado. I don't like the colour much and I'm concerned about it's very mixed review. It was definately my 4th choice but DH loves the colour. This whole project has cost over 2k so far. Original budget 1400 with carefully negotiated increases but still way over budget. Probably won't like the results either as all wood had been bought by my lovely family as presents and is far to big and heavy (I wanted the thin branchy stuff) but I am mum so will smile and make the best of it because they meant well.

Wow.. That really is enough moaning for one thread. Really out of character :(. Too much wine and CSI

Got a job lot of plants to ID yet so I'll be back over the weekend looking for more advice/help. 75 stems for 9 quid

you gotta remember, its shrimp breeders ranting about manado. I set up an iwagumi using seryiou stone and the KH went off the scale.

if it's plants your keen on, you'll be OK. just follow the usual planted tank rules.

Ajm200 said:
oo much wine

i'll join that club...sllleerr hiccup :shifty:

Thanks for that.. Not too sure how to play this. Want the plants but have 4 heavily stocked tanks to amalgamate. Torn betwem plant heavily hope the plants do the cycle (risk divorce with 5 tanks totalling 800l in 20x10 room) or fishless cycle, loads of algae, no plants or plants with restricted photo period and get rid of extra tanks (and earache) in a few weeks.

Ajm200 said:
Thanks for that.. Not too sure how to play this. Want the plants but have 4 heavily stocked tanks to amalgamate. Torn betwem plant heavily hope the plants do the cycle (risk divorce with 5 tanks totalling 800l in 20x10 room) or fishless cycle, loads of algae, no plants or plants with restricted photo period and get rid of extra tanks (and earache) in a few weeks.

Hi,

Tell him you need two more tanks to continue the hobby you love, tell him it'll only cost another grand or so, have a mini tiff about that, then let him believe he has won the battle and he'll be happy that you settled for just the 5 tanks in the end. ;) :shh: :)

Regards, Chris.

Wouldn't work.. good idea though :)

had just informed him that I need another massive filter to boost flow in the tank or risk all the plants, that I spent the best part of a day planting, turning to mush. He was just starting to sound like he was warming to the idea when the CO2 ran out. The thought of me spending more on my 'daft' hobby put him in a foul mood until I almost knocked myself out with the tank lid while messing catching stray leaves to avoid watching another Top Gear rerun.

Painful.. and he still hasn't said yes to the filter

Back