• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

cloudy water after filter clean

JamesM said:
How did you clean the filter/media?

Could be a bacteria bloom...

I just empty my canister into a tub and then clean all media in the water from canister in tub. Mainly i just squeze the sponges out. A get the dirt of them, I leave the rest.

bloom i reckon, even when cleaning in tank water, you can get clouding. nowt to worry about. back off the fish feeding a little etc etc. whilst it corrects itself.

saintly said:
bloom i reckon, even when cleaning in tank water, you can get clouding. nowt to worry about. back off the fish feeding a little etc etc. whilst it corrects itself.

Fantastic, Ill do just that. I did suspect a bloom, seeing its the first time in 2 plus months since i cleaned them last. Saintly, Now i have you reading right now, visit my journal for me, there is an issue there too that you may have the answer for and others would benefit from reading too. :thumbup:

I suspect the bacteria would make it back into the filter.

I had a similiar issue a while back, in order to remove snails from the filter, I tipped the filter media into the empty bath and then, pretty much one by one picked them up and put them back in the filter tray! :rolleyes:

Not long after restarting the filter, the fish were having real trouble breathing. They were just swimming erratically in circles around my central plant which was pearling, in 6 years they have ever acted this way. I was worried, so I changed another 50% of the water but it didn't seem to improve the situation. Ended up with a airstone running overnight.

I don't know for certain what caused it, but I put it down to dislodging alot of filter bacteria from the media that then ended up in the tank, irritating maybe blocking the fish gills. The next day everything was back to normal so I assume the bacteria quickly found it's way back into the filter.

Back