• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Uping TPN+ ?

dkm

Hi,

Just after some advice.

My 400L heavily planted aquarium at present has some vallis that is going yellow and a bit of pin holing / dark areas in other plants. I am loosing a couple of vallis leaves a day. Growth otherwise is very good.

My question is should I up my TPN+? I already dose 35ml a day!

Tank stats:
co2 = 30 - 40
ph = 6.2
volume = 400L
lighting = 200w
WC = 50% a week (HMA filtered water)
nitrate = 10

I am only asking because I thought I was dosing quite high already. I want to keep using TPN+ for its ease. It is being dosed accurately and automatically via a peristaltic pump on a timer.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Regards

Dave

Hi,
Decay and holes is almost always due to poor CO2/flow. Yellowing on mature leaves is typically due to low Nitrogen. It is not very efficient to dose a 400L tank with TPN+. That's just throwing money away because these commercial products are mostly water. It's fine for a nano, but not for well lit, he-man sized tanks. You would be best served using dry powders.

Cheers,

Thanks for the advice ceg4048.

To be honest I am not that prohibited by cost at the moment. And I do like the ease of dosing an all in one liquid automated. Saves me so much time.

Coming from a marine background using TPN+ even if at 50ml a day would save me £25 a month! On the marine tank I was using calcium, magnesium, carbonate, ULNS additives and salt which added up to as I say to more than double what the TPN+ would cost me if I did dose 50ml a day. So psychologically I feel I am better off. I agree with you I could save even more and maybe my circumstances may change in the future and might have to find a cheaper alternative.

CO2 distribution via a Ecotech Vortech MP20 is spot on with drop checker checked in many places throughout the tank. My HC grows like mad so cant be far off the mark with co2 distribution. So I am thinking the decay (only a little bit) and pin holing must be down to other deficiencies. What I am not sure of yet. ?nutrients

Dave

Back