• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dragon Stone

johnny70

I have had a delivery of Dragon Stone today from AquaEssential, lovely rock but a couple of the pieces are quite big :wideyed: I'm wanting them for a nano scape(54ltr) that i'm going to be doing, is it easy to split of break? I don't want to just hack at it and make a mess of the stuff, any tips?

Cheers
JOHNNY

A hammer and bolster. ;)
If align your chissle following the grain and hit it then it will split quite naturally. Generally i find that rock breaks up well and you'll end up with some really nice pieces.

I've tried with Dragon stone, I first got some about a year ago and found some pieces impossible to break with a hammer and chisel. But others broke quite easily and as Dan said they break with the direction of the wholes.

I also found that with most of the stones I broke were a different less attractive colour on the side that has split, don’t know if this was the same for Dan but with mine the original colour was a pale sandy colour but the ones I broke had a bluely grey colour to the broken side.

So I’d try a small section to see if the same colours appear on yours in case you don't like it.

This may sound a bit daft, however, when you first try and break it place the stone on something soft (such as a folded towel). This lessens the shock on the stone when you hit the chisel, reducing the risk of shattering the stone and increasing your chances of breaking along a clean line. Reduce the level of cushioning if you find that the stone does not break at first.

I did this on my "mini" landscaping rocks from AE. I had one nice one and one large ugerly one. Took the fiances chisel and hammer to it. Was too scared... Got him to do it and ended up with 5 nice rocks :D

Thanks for the replies, will find out an old chisel :wideyed:

Cheers,
JOHNNY

Back