• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cleaning Exterior Glass?

Stickleback

Hi

Having finally got my tank looking how I want it, I now notice how quickly the exterior glass gets dirty. So i was just wondering how everyone cleans theirs. I would imagine window cleaner and aquariums are best not mixed, but if you spray it on to a cloth and use it, is that safe.

Thanks

R

You'd be amazed how effective newspaper + Windex is on glass. A great way of putting junk mail to work.

Cheers,

Try neat white vinegar on a bit of newspaper. Smell fades really fast and no nasty chemicals.

I use window cleaner spray but on a cloth, I think they have high ammonia content. Or use vinegar and cloth. Is really up to you.

I use ScrewFix glass cleaner, squirt some onto a paper towel and apply to glass then polish off residual cleaner with a micro fibre cloth.

Regards
Paul.

I like white vinegar as a cleaner for glass, works a treat apply liberally, clean off with news paper or paper towel then buff with a soft cloth at the end. If you get good with water changes you'd only ever have to do the inside of the glass before your water change and the outside when ever there's a splash.

cloth, splash of vinegar, a tad of washing up liquid, rub with a drop of water....bingo! the most effective streak free glass cleaner ever....then pass to wife :silent:

windowlene is amazing stuff too. spray cleaners just don't cut it. always leave streaks....

Never cleaned mine with anything but a decent microfibre cloth, occasionally wiping with a slightly damp cloth first. Microfibre will lift most surface grease/dust without any trouble.

Garuf said:
I like white vinegar as a cleaner for glass, works a treat apply liberally, clean off with news paper or paper towel then buff with a soft cloth at the end.

i'll second, no third that too, also use a microfibre cloth to buff.

Also, as I have lids to curb my jumping fish, and falling apple snails, I soak these in the bath tub with a glug of white vinegar. They come out sparking. Also wipe down light fittings, tubes, anything that gets furred up with it.

Back